The Detection of Explosives in Airport Luggage Using the Direct Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Method
Pure Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR) is a very promising method for the detection and identification of illicit materials such as explosives and narcotics. NQR based machines are able to test closed luggage for illicit materials not readily identifiable by other methods. The application of the pure NQR method for screening of airport luggage is discussed. An advanced NQR machine which is a mid-sized luggage scanner has been developed by QRSciences Limited for use primarily in airports. The basic design, performance and some characteristics of this machine are reported.
KeywordsNuclear Quadruple Resonance Nuclear Quadruple Resonance Frequency Coherent Noise Nuclear Quadruple Resonance Signal Amine Nitrogen Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Marino R A and Klainer S M 1977 Multiple spin echoes in pure quadrupole resonance J. Chem. Phys. 67 3388–89. Hirshfeld T and Klainer S M 1980 Short range remote NQR measurements J. Molec. Struct. 58 63–77. Klainer S M, Hirschfeld T B and Marino R A 1982 Fourier transform NQR spectroscopy. Fourier, Hadamard and Hilbert transforms in chemistry (A G Marshal ed.) Plenum NY pp 147–181Google Scholar
- 3.Harding J C, Wade D A, Marino R A, Sauer E G and Klainer S M 1979 A pulsed NQR-FTT spectrometer for nitrogen-14 J. Magn. Reson. 36 21–33.Google Scholar
- 4.Bradford R, Clay C and Stick E 1951 A steady-state transient technique in nuclear induction Phys. Rev. 84 157–58.Google Scholar
- 7.Freeman R and Hill H D W 1971 Phase and intensity anomalies in Fourier transform NMR J. Magn. Reson. 4 366–83.Google Scholar
- 8.Buess M L, Garroway A N and Miller J B 1991 NQR detection using a meanderline surface coil J. Magn. Reson. 92 348–62.Google Scholar
- 9.Rudakov T N and Belyakov A V 1998 Modifications of the steady-state free- precession sequences for the detection of pure nuclear quadrupole resonance J. Phys.D: Appl.Phys. 31 1251–56.Google Scholar
- 13.Fukushima E. and Roeder S. B. W. 1981 Experimental pulse NMR: A nuts and bolts approach., Perseus Books Publishing, Reading, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- 14.Garroway A N, Buess M L, Yesinowski J P and Miller J B 1994 Narcotics and explosives detection by 14N pure NQR. Substance detection Systems (1993), SPIE Proceedings 2092 318–27.Google Scholar
- 16.Petersen G. and Bray P.J. 1976 14N nuclear quadrupole resonance and relaxation measurements of sodium nitrite. J. Chem. Phys. 64 522–30.Google Scholar