A New Class of “In-Situ” Fiber Reinforced Boride Composite Ceramic Materials
There are developed the physical grounds of creation of the new type of advanced ceramic — ceramic composite materials based on eutectic mixtures of rare earth and transition metals boride phases. It is worked out the process of directional crystallization of such compositions, that results in “in-situ” formation of their specific real structure, consisted from single crystal matrix of rare earth boride, strengthened, also, by, regularly distributed into it, single crystal whiskers of transition metal boride. Received composites possess useful inherent matrix component properties simultaneously with high mechanical properties, that distinguish them from common ceramic materials. The main attention is paid to LaB6-ZrB2 system that could be of interest as thermal-shock resistant effective cathode material for electron-beam sources.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Crystallization Rate Directional Crystallization Boride Phase Metal Boride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ordan’yan, S.S. (1992) Physical-chemistry principles of creating of composite ceramic materials on the base of the refractory compounds, Ogneupory # 9/10, 10–14 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.Kuzma, Yu.B. (1983) Crystallchemistry of Borides, Vyshcha Shkola, Lviv (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 8.Ordan’yan, S.S., Paderno, Yu.B., Nikolaeva, E.E. etal.(1984) Interaction in the LaB6 — CrB2 system, Poroshkovaya metallurgiya #.5, 64–66 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 9.Ordan’yan, S.S., Paderno, Yu.B., Nikolaeva, E.E.et al. (1984) Interaction in the LaB6 — TiB2 system,” Izv. ANSSSR, ser. Neorg. mater, 20, 850–851 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 10.Paderno, Yu.B., Paderno, V.N. and Filippov, V.B. (1991) Some peculiarities of structure formation in eutectic d- and f- transition metals boride alloys, in D. Emin, T. Aselage et al. (eds) Boron Rich Solids(AIP Conf. Proc. #231), New-York, p.p. 561–569.Google Scholar
- 11.Paderno, Yu.B., Paderno, V.N. and Filippov, V.B. (1994) Crystal chemistry of eutectic growth of d- and f-transition metals borides, in R. Uno and I. Higashi (eds.), Proc. II Int.Symp. Boron, Borides and Related compounds, JJAP Series 10, pp. 190–193.Google Scholar
- 13.Paderno, Yu.B., Paderno, V.N., Filippov, V.B. et al. (1992) Structure features of the eutectic alloys of borides with the d- and f- transition metals, Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 31 #.8(356), 700–706.Google Scholar
- 14.Paderno, Yu.B., Paderno, V.N., Ostrovsky, E.K. et al.(1992) The peculiarities of electron emission characteristics of new class of ceramic materials based on rare earth metal borides, Doklady AN Ukraine, #11, 84–87 (in Russian).Google Scholar