Despite countless promises for a better life in prisons by national commissions, governments and the international community, there is a vicious cycle of neglect, abandonment, indignity, inhuman treatment, and punishment of persons with mental illness. From an American view, some authors have argued that the de-institutionalisation movement has resulted in new places of confinement for this population, such as jails, prisons and homeless shelters (Gostin 2008). Recently homelessness has become far more common among US state and federal prison inmates than the general population (Greenberg and Rosenheck 2008). On the other hand, at least in Norway, the rise in incarceration rates can only be attributed to de-institutionalisation to a very limited extent (Hartvig and Kjelsberg 2009). From a European view current national and international data bases are insufficient to firmly conclude or otherwise on a link between general psychiatry, forensic psychiatry, and penitentiaries and to identify inappropriate patient shifting (Salize et al. 2008).
KeywordsAttention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Suicidal Behaviour Personality Disorder Psychotic Illness Methadone Maintenance Therapy
- Bernheim, J.C. 1994. Suicides and prison conditions. In Deaths in custody: International perspectives, ed. A. Liebling and T. Ward. Bournemouth: Bourne Press.Google Scholar
- Beven, G.E. 2005. Offenders with mental illnesses in maximum- and supermaximum-security settings. In Handbook of correctional mental health, ed. C.L. Scott and J.B. Gerbasi. Arlington: American Psychiatric Publishing.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe. 2006. Recommendation Rec (2006)2 on the European Prison Rules. https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?id=955747
- Gößling, J., and N. Konrad. 2004. Zur Entität der so genannten Haftpsychose. R&P 22: 123–129.Google Scholar
- Karp, J.G., L. Whitman, and A. Convit. 1991. Intentional ingestion of foreign objects by MalePrison inmates. Hospital & Community Psychiatry 42: 533–535.Google Scholar
- Konrad, N. 2001. Psychiatry in custody and prisons. In Contempory psychiatry, Psychiatry in special situations, vol. 2, ed. F. Henn, N. Sartorius, H. Helmchen, and H. Lauter. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Konrad, N., and B. Völlm. 2010. Forensic psychiatry. In Ethics in psychiatry, ed. H. Helmchen and N. Sartorius. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Konrad, N., M.S. Daigle, A.E. Daniel, G. Dear, P. Frottier, L.M. Hayes, A. Kerkhof, A. Liebling, and M. Sarchiapone. 2007. Preventing suicide in prisons. Part I. Recommendations from the International Association for Suicide Prevention Task Force on Suicide in Prisons. Crisis 28(3): 113–121.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liebling, A. 1995. Vulnerability and prison suicide. British Journal of Criminology 35: 173–187.Google Scholar
- Metzner, J., and L. Hayes. 2006. Suicide prevention in jails and prisons. In Textbook of suicide assessment and management, ed. R. Simon and R. Hales, 139–155. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.Google Scholar
- Senior, J., A.J. Hayes, D. Pratt, S.D. Thomas, T. Fahy, M. Leese, A. Bowen, G. Taylor, G. Lever-Green, T. Graham, A. Pearson, M. Ahmed, and J.J. Shaw. 2007. The identification and management of suicide risk in local prisons. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology 18: 368–380.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tacke, B., Hanisch, A., Knaack, M., and Rode, I. 1975. Untersuchung psychiatrischer und psychologischer Faktoren, welche für Selbstbeschädigungen (das sog. Metallschlucken) von Häftlingen in Strafanstalten bestimmend sind. Opladen: Westdeutscher Verlag.Google Scholar
- Thole, E. 1976. Suizid im Gefängnis. ZfStrVo 25: 110–114.Google Scholar
- United Nations. 1987. Standard minimum rules for the treatment of prisoners. http://www.unchr.ch/html/menu3/b/h_comp34.htm. Accessed June 2010.
- Walters, R.H., J.E. Callagan, and A.F. Newman. 1969. Effect of solitary confinement on prisoners. The American Journal of Psychiatry 119: 771–773.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. 2007. Preventing suicide in jails and prisons. Geneva. www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/resource_jails_prisons.pdf. Accessed June 2010.