Solar and Interplanetary Radio Emissions
Recent progress on radio emissions from the Sun and in the interplanetary medium is reviewed, with particular emphases on type II and III solar radio bursts, and emissions from the Earth’s foreshock. Observations from single or multi spacecraft and ground-based instruments have provided new insights into interactions of beam-wave, wave-wave, and wave-plasma in the radiation source regions, and into the relations between type II and III bursts, flares, and coronal mass ejections. Theoretical and numerical models have been developed to realistically predict electron acceleration by flares or shocks of various origins, source emissions, radiation propagation, and remote radio emissions. The better understanding of such radio phenomena will help us answer important questions related to electron acceleration during flares and coronal mass ejections, and the plasma conditions of the solar corona, solar wind, and the interplanetary medium.
KeywordsSolar Wind Coronal Mass Ejection Radio Emission Interplanetary Magnetic Field Langmuir Wave
Li was support by The Australian Research Council.
- Allen CW (1947) Mon Not R Astron Soc 107:426Google Scholar
- Benz AO (1993) Plasma astrophysics: kinetic processes in solar and stellar coronae. Kluwer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Cairns IH, Robinson PA, Zank GP (2000) Pub Astron Society Aust 17:22Google Scholar
- Celnikier LM, Harvey CC, Jegou R, Moricet P, Kemp M (1983) Astron Astrophys 126:293Google Scholar
- Melrose DB (1980) Plasma astrohysics. Nonthermal processes in diffuse mgnetized plasmas - vol 1: The emission, absorption and transfer of waves in plasmas; vol 2: Astrophysical applications. Gordon and Breach, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Nelson GJ, Melrose DB (1985) In: McLean DJ, Labrum NR (eds) Solar radiophysics: studies of emission from the sun at metre wavelengths. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, p 333Google Scholar
- Poquerusse M, Hoang S, Bougeret J-L, Moncuquet M (1996) In: Winterhalter D, Gosling JT, Habbal SR, Kurth WS, Neugebauer M (eds) Solar wind eight, AIP CP-382. American Institute of Physics, New York, NY, p 62Google Scholar
- Steinberg JL, Aubier-Giraud M, Leblanc Y, Boischot A (1971) Astron Astrophys 10:362Google Scholar
- Suzuki S, Dulk GA (1985) In: McLean DJ, Labrum NR (eds) Solar radiophysics: studies of emission from the sun at metre wavelengths. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, p 289Google Scholar
- Wild JP (1950) Aust J Sci Res A3:541Google Scholar
- Yan Y (2009) 11th IAGA scientific assembly, Sopron, abstract 406-WED-01130-0345Google Scholar