Flow-Induced Fiber Orientation in SCSFRC: Monitoring and Prediction
The dispersion and the orientation of fibers in concrete can be governed through a suitably balanced set of fresh state properties and a carefully designed casting procedure, if proved effective. This would allow one to achieve a mechanical performance of the fiber-reinforced cementitious composite which is optimal to the foreseen structural application, even keeping the fiber content at relatively low values (e.g. maximum 1% by volume) and aligning them with the direction of the principal tensile stress within the structural element when in service. Modeling the casting of fresh concrete, through suitable numerical tools, in order to anticipate the direction of flow lines, along which fibers may orient, and optimize the whole process to the foreseen structural application is of the foremost importance. Monitoring fiber dispersion related issues through suitable non destructive methods would also be crucial for reliable, time and cost-effective quality control. In this paper a pioneer study has been performed in the above said framework. The results are really encouraging and pave the way towards a holistic approach to the design of self-consolidating fiber-reinforced concrete structures.
KeywordsFiber Orientation Steel Fiber Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling Fresh Concrete Fiber Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Stroeven, P. (2009), ACI Mat. J., vol. 106, n. 3, pp. 213–222.Google Scholar
- Soroushian, P. and Lee, C.D. (1990), ACI Mat. J., vol. 87, n. 5, pp. 433–439.Google Scholar
- Soroushian, P. and Lee, C.D. (1990), ACI Mat. J., Vol. 87, n. 6, pp. 541–546.Google Scholar
- Stähli, P., Custer, R. and van Mier, J.G.M., (2008), Mat. & Struct., vol. 41, n. 1, pp. 1891–196.Google Scholar
- Ferrara, L., Ozyurt, N. and di Prisco, M. (2010), Mat. & Struct., accepted.Google Scholar
- Ozyurt, N., Woo, L.Y., Mason, T.O. and Shah, S.P. (2006), ACI Mat. J, vol. 103 n. 5, pp. 340–347.Google Scholar
- Faifer, M. et al. (2009), In: Proceedings IMTC09, pp. 313–318.Google Scholar
- Douglas, J.F. and Garboczi, E.J. (1995), Adv. Chem. Phys., XCI, Wiley, pp. 2265–2270.Google Scholar
- Tregger, N., Ferrara, L. and Shah, S.P. (2008), ACI Mat. J., vol. 105, n. 6, pp. 558–566.Google Scholar