Regime Shifts in the Atmosphere and Their Relationship to Abrupt Ocean Changes
The ocean community has monitored abrupt climate changes or regime shifts in various fish species around the Pacific and Atlantic basins via fish stock and fish catch statistics. These regime shifts occur over relatively short intervals of 1–3 years, and appear to represent basin wide as well as ecosystem level changes that can last for many years. While regime shifts have been observed in the ocean through changes in physical and biological responses, their primary source has not been attributed to either atmospheric or oceanic forcing. Research results are discussed that make the case for the atmosphere being a key forcing for the abrupt regime shift changes. Also, a set of the independently identified ocean regime shifts are linked with abrupt changes in the atmosphere.
KeywordsAbrupt ocean change Fish stock El Nino/La Nina Global waves
- Behrenfeld, M.J., R.T. O’Malley, D.A. Siegel, C.R. McClain, J.L. Sarmiento, G.C. Feldman, A.J. Milligan, P.G. Falkowski, R.M. Letelier and E.M. Boss, 7 December 2006: Climate-driven trends in contemporary ocean productivity. Nature, 144. doi:10.1038/nature05317Google Scholar
- Ebbesmeyer, C.C., Cayan, D.R. McLain, F.H. Nichols, D.H. Peterson and K.T. Redmond, 1991: 1976 step in the Pacific climate: forty environmental changes between 1968-75 and 1977-1984. In: Proc. 7th Ann. Pacific Climate Workshop, California Dept of Water Resources, Interagency Ecol. Stud. Prog. Report 26.Google Scholar
- Kalnay E, Kanamitsu M, Kistler R, Collins W, Deaven D, Gandin L, Iredell M, Saha S, White G, Woollen J, Zhu Y, Leetmaa A, Reynolds B, Chelliah M, Ebisuzaki W, Higgins W, Janowiak J, Mo KC, Ropelewski C, Wang J, Jenne R, Joseph D (1996) The NCEP/NCAR 40-Year Reanalysis Project. Bull Amer Meteor Soc 77:437–472CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McFarlane, G.A., King J.R., Beamish R.J. (2000) Have there been recent changes in climate? Ask the Fish. Progress in Oceanography, 47:147–169Google Scholar
- Overland J., S. Rodionov, S. Minobe, and N. Bond, 2008: North Pacific regime shifts: Definitions, issues and recent transitions. Progress in Oceanography Google Scholar