Wall Modelling for Implicit Large Eddy Simulation of Favourable and Adverse Pressure Gradient Flows
In order to perform Implicit Large Eddy Simulation (ILES) on complex geometries at high Reynolds numbers, a wall model based on the simplified Thin Boundary Layer Equations (TBLE) is designed in the framework of ILES with a cut-cell finite-volume immersed boundary method. This wall model is validated for turbulent channel flow at friction Reynolds number up to Re τ =2,000 on very coarse grids. The results compared with DNS and LES without wall model show that the wall model has the potential to improve the mean velocity in the outer flow region well at high Reynolds number. The wall model is applied to a complex converging diverging channel flow at Reynolds number Re=7,900 on very coarse meshes. Improved mean velocities and Reynolds stresses are obtained, which shows that the wall model has the ability to perform ILES on complex geometries at high Reynolds numbers.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Direct Numerical Simulation Reynolds Stress High Reynolds Number Cartesian Grid
The authors gratefully acknowledge the members of LES group in the Institute of Aerodynamics of TUM for their valuable discussions and heartful help. This work has been performed under the WALLTURB project. WALLTURB (A European synergy for the assessment of wall turbulence) is funded by the EC under the 6th framework program (CONTRACT No.: AST4-CT-2005-516008).
- 2.Chen, Z.L., Devesa, A., Hickel, S., Stemmer, C., Adams, N.A.: A wall model based on simplified thin boundary layer equations for implicit large eddy simulation of turbulent channel flow. In: 16th DGLR Symposium of STAB, RWTH Aachen University (2008) Google Scholar
- 6.Marquillie, M., Laval, J.P., Dolganov, R.: Direct Numerical Simulation of a separated channel flow with a smooth profile. J. Turbul. 9(1), 1–23 (2008) Google Scholar
- 7.Meyer, M., Devesa, A., Hickel, S., Hu, X.Y., Adams, N.A.: An immersed interface method in the framework of implicit large eddy simulation. In: Proceedings DLES 7, Trieste, Italy, 2008 Google Scholar
- 9.Mohd-Yosuf, J.: Combined immersed boundary/B-spline methods for simulation of flow in complex geometries. Annual Research Briefs. Center for Turbulent Research, pp. 317–328 (1997) Google Scholar
- 10.Tessicini, F., Iaccarino, G., Fatica, M., et al.: Wall modeling for large eddy simulation using an immersed boundary method. Annual Research Briefs. Center for Turbulent Research, pp. 81–187 (2002) Google Scholar