The Computer Simulation of Shaping in Rotating Electrical Discharge Machining
The effect of the tool electrode wear on the accuracy is very important problem in the Rotating Electrical Discharge Machining (REDM). Two mathematical models of REDM are presented: the first one considers machining with the face of the end tool electrode and the second one considers EDM with the lateral side of the electrode. The software for computer simulation of EDM machining with the side and face of the electrodes has been developed. This simulation model for NC contouring EDM using rotating electrode may also be applied for tool electrode path optimization. The experimental results confirm the validity of the proposed mathematical models and the simulation software.
KeywordsTool Wear Tool Path Electrical Discharge Machine Machine Surface Tool Electrode
This work was supported in part by the European Commission project “Micro-Technologies for Re-Launching European Machine Manufacturing SMEs (LAUNCH-MICRO)”.
- M. Kunieda, B. Lauwers, K.P. Rajurkar, B.M. Schumacher, Advancing EDM through fundamental insight into the process. Ann. CIRP 54(2), 599–622Google Scholar
- 2.P. Bleys, J.P. Kruth, B. Lauwers, Milling EDM of 3D shapes with tubular electrodes, Proceedings of ISEM XIII, 2001, pp. 555–567Google Scholar
- 3.P. Bleys, J. P. Kruth, Machining complex shapes by numerically controlled EDM. Int. J. Electric. Mach. 6, 61–69 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.J.P. Kruth, B. Lauwers, W. Clappaert, A study of EDM pocketing, Proceedings of ISEM X, 1992, pp. 121–135Google Scholar
- 7.Z.Y. Yu, T. Masuzawa, M. Fujino, A basic study on 3D Micro-EDM. Die Mould Technol. 11(8), 122–123 (1996) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Uno, A. Okada, M. Itoh, T. Yamaguchi, EDM of groove with rotating disk electrode, Int. J. Electr.Mach. 1, 13–20 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.J. Quian, H. Ohmori, T. Kato, I. Marinescu, Fabrication of micro shapes of advanced materials by ELID- Grinding. Trans. NAMRI/SME 27, 269–278 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.J. Kozak, Effect of the wear of rotating tool on the accuracy of machined parts, in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Production Engineering APE-2, vol. I. Warsaw, 2001, pp. 253–262Google Scholar
- 12.J. Kozak, Z. Gulbinowicz, D. Gulbinowicz, Computer simulation of rotating electrical machining (REDM). Arch. Mech. Eng. XL(1), 111–125 (2004)Google Scholar