Islamic Banking and Responsible Investment: Is a Fusion Possible?
The biggest financial crisis since 1929 is forcing the world to look for more sustainable financial models that would combine value-creation, stability and morality. Amid the chaos, two financial sectors are thriving: Ethical banking/Socially Responsible Investment (hereafter ‘SRI’) and Islamic Banking and Finance (hereafter ‘Islamic Banking’). The Islamic Banking sector is growing at about 10–15% per year. In contrast with conventional financial institutions the sector has been, so far, mostly insulated from the global financial turmoil. With approximately 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide, including numerous oil and gas producing nations, growth potential is tremendous.
KeywordsSocially Responsible Invest Financial Instrument Supervisory Board Global Compact Islamic Banking
- Barkatulla, M. 2009. Ethical fusion. Islamic Banking and Finance 7: 23.Google Scholar
- Bloomberg. 2009. Vatican Says Islamic Finance May Help Western Banks In Crisis. Bloomberg News Service 4th March 2009, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601092%26sid=aOsOLE8uiNOg%26refer%20=%20italy Accessed April 2010.
- Brown, Gordon. 2006. UK’s Brown backs Islamic Finance. BBC News, 13th June 2006.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5074068.stm Accessed April 2010.
- Brugnoni, Alberto. 2009. Smoke signals. Islamic Banking and Finance 14: 22.Google Scholar
- Buiter 2009. Maverecon: Willem Buiter. Islamic finance principles to restore policy effectiveness. Financial Times, 22 July 2009.Google Scholar
- El-Gamal, Mahmoud. 2009. Crooks in the name of Islam. Available at http://elgamal.blogspot.com/search?q=snake+oil Accessed May 2010.
- Eurosif. 2008. European SRI Study. Paris: Eurosif.Google Scholar
- FAW 2008. Shariah Scholars in the GCC. 2008. A Network Analytic Perspective. Funds at work. Available at http://www.funds-at-work.com. Accessed May 2010.
- FT 2008. Scholars and harmony in short supply. Financial Times, 19 June 2008.Google Scholar
- Haleem, Muhammed A. S. A. 2004. The Qur’an: A New Translation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- La Voix du Luxembourg. 2009 Une attirance réciproque. La Voix du Luxembourg, 6 May 2009.Google Scholar
- Le Parisien. 2008. Les Banques Islamiques arrivent en France, Le Parisien, 27 November 2008.Google Scholar
- Nienhaus, Volker. 2007. Governance of islamic banks. In Handbook of Islamic Banking, eds. M. Kabir Hassan, and Mervyn K. Lewis. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. Available at http://www.google.com/books?hl=en%lr=%id=jvTtDzD5uFQC%oi=fnd%pg=PA128%dq=nienhaus+2007+%E2%80%98is+an+independent+body+of+specialized+jurists+in+fiqh+almua%E2%80%99malat+(Islamic+commercial+jurisprudence)%E2%80%99,%ots=72kNbiTZpy%sig=98bW6hRvPf7OwBgcB3d9MmCE0AM#v=onepage%q%f=false Accessed 25 May 2010.Google Scholar
- Novethic. 2009. Finance Islamique et ISR. 2009. Convergence Possible. Novethic working paper. Available at http://ribh.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/novethic-finance-islamique-et-isr.pdf Accessed May 2010.
- Oummatv. 2008. La finance islamique à la française: un moteur pour l’économie, une alternative éthique SECURE Finance. http://oummatv.tv/La-finance-islamique-un-moteur Accessed April 2010.
- OWW. 2006. Islam and CSR: The compatibility between the tenets of Islam and the UN Global Compact, Research Report December 2006, OWW Consulting. Available at http://www.oww-consulting.com/downloads/research/islam-and-csr/download.html Accessed May 2010.
- Reuters. 2008. Holy man joins jet set as Islamic finance booms. 5 February 2008. Available at http://www.reuters.com/article/IslamicBankingandFinance08/idUSL059423620080205 Accessed April 2010.
- Stanley, Mark and Salmaan Jaffery. 2009. Can Islamic asset management aim a little higher? Achieving maturity and the impact of socially responsible investment. In Islamic Wealth Management: A Catalyst for Global Change and Innovation, London: Euromoney Books, ed. Jaffer, S., 247-260.Google Scholar
- Sultan, S.A.M. 2007. Sharia’ah Audit for Islamic Financial Institutions - A Primer. Kuala Lumpur: CERT publications.Google Scholar
- Synovitz, Ron. 2009. Islamic Banks Unhurt By Toxic Assets, But Could Suffer As Crisis Evolves, Radio Free Europe, 3 March 2009. Available at http://www.rferl.org/content/Islamic_Banks_Unhurt_By_Toxic_Assets_But_Could_Suffer_As_Crisis_Evolves/1503409.html Accessed May 2010
- Tripp, Charles. 2010. Islam and the Moral Economy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Vogel, Frank E., and S.L. Hayes III. 1998. Islamic Law and Finance: Religion, Risk and Return. Boston, MA: Kluwer Law International.Google Scholar
- Zahari, Zaha Rina and Bala Shanmugam. 2009. Socially responsible investing. In Islamic Wealth Management: A Catalyst for Global Change and Innovation, ed. Sohail Jaffer. Euromoney Books, 234-246.Google Scholar