Interdisciplinary Automation and Control in a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Laboratory
The University of Bridgeport’s School of Engineering created a new PLC Industrial Control Lab to accommodate lab-based, hands-on training using different types of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs). The Lab and associated courses were designed to meet ABET’s EC2000 standards and prepare students for the workforce.
KeywordsTouch Screen Programmable Logic Controller Engineering Curriculum Wire Diagram Control Cabinet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors acknowledge the equipment contributions by Gibson Engineering Company, Incorporated of Norwood, MA and HESCO of Rocky Hill, CT.
- L.R. Lattuca, P.T. Terenzini, and J.F. Volkwein. (March, 2006). Engineering Change: A Study of the Impact of EC2000. ABET, Inc. Baltimore, MD. [Online]. Available: http://www.abet.org/Linked%20Documents-UPDATE/White%20Papers/Engineering%20Change.pdf
- P.C. Wankat, R.M. Felder, K.A. Smith, and F.S. Oreovicz, “The scholarship of teaching and learning in engineering,” in Disciplinary Styles in the scholarship of teaching and learning: Exploring common ground, M.T. Huber and S. Morreale, Eds., Washington, DC: AAHE/Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2002, pp. Available: http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Papers/Scholarship_chapter.pdf
- D. Richter, “Infusing an interdisciplinary automation experience in engineering technology education,” in Proceedings of the 2007 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Honolulu, HI.Google Scholar
- T.J. Stiller and G.R. Johnson, “Constituent influences on engineering curricula,” in Proceedings of the 2004 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT.Google Scholar
- C. Mirman, “Educating future engineers requires teamwork,” Automation Notebook, Fall Issue 12, 2008, [Online]. Available: http://automationnotebook.com/2008_issue_12/featurestory_issue12_2008.html
- E-Designer for the E1000-series Reference Manual, Mitsubishi Electric, MA 00759A, 2005-03.Google Scholar
- MicroLogix 1100 Programmable Controllers, Bulletin 1763, Instruction Set Reference Manual, Rockwell Automation, Inc., Publication 1763-RM001B-EN-P, April 2007.Google Scholar
- FX Series Programmable Controllers Programming Manual, Mitsubishi Electric, Manual number JY992D88101, Manual revision D, April 2003.Google Scholar
- Roboware™ Programming/Control Software for Mitsubishi Robots Ver 2.xx User Manual, KakeWare©, RV-M1 & RV-M2 Models.Google Scholar
- Melsoft FR Configurator Instruction Manual VFD Software, Mitsubishi Electric, FR-SW2-SETUP-WE.Google Scholar
- Logix 5000 Controllers Common Procedures Programming Manual, Rockwell Automation, Inc., Publication 1756-PM001I-EN-P, January 2007.Google Scholar
- SLC 500 Instruction Set Reference Manual, Rockwell Automation, Inc., Publication 1747-RM011E-EN-P, January 2006.Google Scholar
- K.C. Bower, T.W. Mays, and C.M. Miller, “Small group, self-directed problem based learning development in a traditional engineering program,” in 34 th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Savannah, GA, 2004.Google Scholar
- S.M. Lord and M.M. Camacho, “Effective teaching practices: Preliminary analysis of engineering educators, in 37 th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Milwaukee, WI, 2007.Google Scholar