Potential Factors Influencing Treatment Outcomes
Treatment with enzyme replacement therapy in Fabry disease is successful in some, but not all patients. The presence of advanced disease, especially in the kidney or heart is associated with a less favorable outcome. Genetic and environmental factors that are known to play a role in the development of cardiovascular complications in the general population will probably put a patient with Fabry disease at a cumulative risk for disease progression. Apart from these patient related matters, the dose of enzyme as well as the formation of antibodies is discussed. Since antibodies interfere with surrogate markers such as levels of globotriaosylceramide in urine and endothelial cells in the skin, it is likely that they will affect clinical outcome. However, so far there is no evidence from clinical studies that this is the case.
KeywordsEnzyme replacement therapy Patient-related factors Therapy-related factors Antibody formation Treatment efficacy
- 10.Deegan P, Marchesan D, Cox TM (2009) Studies on the serum phosphatase that abrogates uptake of mannose-6-phosphate-containing therapeutic lysosomal enzymes. Meeting of the European Study Group of lysosomal disease, Bad Honnef, 13 Sept 2009Google Scholar
- 20.Weidemann F, Niemann M, Herrmann S et al (2007) A new echocardiographic approach for the detection of non-ischaemic fibrosis in hypertrophic myocardium. EurHeart J 28(24):3020–3026Google Scholar
- 24.Vedder AC, Linthorst GE, Houge G et al (2007) Treatment of Fabry disease: outcome of a comparative trial with agalsidase alfa or beta at a dose of 0.2 mg/kg. PLoSONE 2(7):e598Google Scholar
- 28.Clarke JT, West ML, Bultas J, Schiffmann R (2007) The pharmacology of multiple regimens of agalsidase alfa enzyme replacement therapy for Fabry disease. GenetMed 9(8):504–509Google Scholar
- 31.Sheppard MN, Cane P, Florio R et al (2009) A detailed pathologic examination of heart tissue from three older patients with Anderson-Fabry disease on enzyme replacement therapy. Cardiovasc Pathol (epub 23/jul/09)Google Scholar