WI-FI Point-to-Point Links: Performance Aspects of IEEE 802.11a, b, g Laboratory Links
Wireless communications using microwaves are increasingly important, e.g. Wi-Fi. Performance is a very relevant issue, resulting in more reliable and efficient communications. Laboratory measurements are made about several performance aspects of Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a, b, g) point-to-point links using two types of access points from Enterasys Networks (RBT-4102 and RBTR2). Through OSI levels 3, 4 and 7, detailed results are presented and discussed, namely: latency, ICMP packet loss, TCP throughput, jitter, percentage datagram loss and FTP transfer rate.
KeywordsWLAN Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11a IEEE 802.11b IEEE 802.11g point-to-point links wireless network laboratory performance measurements
Supports from University of Beira Interior and FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia)/POCI2010 (Programa Operacional Ciência e Inovação) are acknowledged. We acknowledge Enterasys Networks for their availability.
- 1.Mark, J.W., Zhuang, W.: Wireless Communications and Networking. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Rappaport, T.S.: Wireless Communications Principles and Practice, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Bruce III, W.R., Gilster, R.: Wireless LANs End to End. Hungry Minds, NY, (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Chebrolu, K., Raman, B., Sen, S.: Long-distance 802.11b links: performance, measurement and experience. Proceedings of 12th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 74–85, Los Angels, CA, 23–29 September 2006Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Std 802.11-2007. IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks-specific requirements – Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications. http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802. Accessed 10 October 2007
- 7.Schwartz, M.: Mobile Wireless Communications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Sarkar, N.I., Sowerby, K.W.: High performance measurements in the crowded office environment: a case study. Proceedings of ICCT’06-International Conference on Communication Technology, pp. 1–4, Guilin, China, 27–30 November 2006Google Scholar
- 9.Pacheco de Carvalho, J.A.R., Gomes, P.A.J., Veiga, H., Reis, A.D.: Wi-Fi and very high speed optical links for data and voice communications. Proceedings of CISTI 2007-2a Conferência Ibérica de Sistemas e Tecnologias de Informação, pp. 441–452, UFP, Universidade Fernando Pessoa, Porto, Portugal, 21–23 de Junho 2007Google Scholar
- 10.Pacheco de Carvalho, J.A.R., Gomes, P.A.J., Veiga, H., Reis, A.D.: Development of a University networking project. In: Putnik, G.D., Cunha, M.M. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Networked and Virtual Organizations, pp. 409–422. IGI Global, Hershey, PA, 2008Google Scholar
- 11.Pacheco de Carvalho, J.A.R., Veiga, H., Costa, R., Gomes, P.A.J., Reis, A.D.: A contribution to experimental performance evaluation of point-to-point WiMAX links. Proceedings of ISSPIT 2008-8th IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, pp. 150–153, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 16–19 December 2008Google Scholar
- 12.Pacheco de Carvalho, J.A.R., Veiga, H., Gomes, P.A.J., Cláudia, F.F.P., Pacheco, R., Reis, A.D.: Experimental performance study of very high speed free space optics link at the University of Beira interior campus: a case study. Proceedings of ISSPIT 2008-8th IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, pp. 154–157, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 16–19 December 2008Google Scholar
- 13.Pacheco de Carvalho, J.A.R., Gomes, P.A., Veiga, H., Ribeiro Pacheco, C.F., Marques, N.A., Reis, D.: A contribution to laboratory performance evaluation of IEEE 802.11 a, b, g point-to-point links: a case study. Proceedings of WCE 2009-World Congress on Engineering 2009, vol. I, pp. 884–888, London, 1–3 July 2009Google Scholar
- 14.Enterasys Networks. Roam About R2, RBT-4102 Wireless Access Points. http://www.enterasys.com. Accessed 20 December 2008
- 15.Allied Telesis. AT-8000S/16 Layer 2 Managed Fast Ethernet Switch. http://www.alliedtelesis.com. Accessed 20 December 2008
- 16.SolarWinds. Engineer’s Toolset Network Traffic Generator: WAN Killer; http://www.solarwinds.net.
- 17.NLANR. http://dast.nlanr.net.
- 18.Network Working Group. RFC 1889-RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real Time Applications; http://www.rfc-archive.org.