Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Brain Tumors Using Iron Oxide Nanoparticles
Iron oxide nanoparticles provide an alternative to gadolinium based contrast agents for use in magnetic resonance imaging of brain tumors. These nanoparticles have different biologic and imaging properties that provide complementary information about inflammation and subtle defects in the blood-brain barrier that are not seen with gadolinium as well as repeated serial imaging without the readministration of contrast agents. These particles can also be used with dynamic magnetic resonance imaging to measure perfusion properties of brain tumors without the confounding effects of blood brain barrier permeability on the measurements. Cellular labeling using iron oxide nanoparticles may allow for imaging of cellular trafficking in the brain.
KeywordsPituitary Adenoma Iron Oxide Particle Magnetic Resonance Sequence Magnetic Resonance Perfusion Iron Oxide Core
- Arbab, A.S., Rad, A.M., Iskander, A.S., Jafari-Khouzani, K., Brown, S.L., Churchman, J.L., Ding, G., Jiang, Q., Frank, J.A., Soltanian-Zadeh, H., and Peck, D.J. (2007) Magnetically-labeled sensitized splenocytes to identify glioma by MRI: a preliminary study. Magn. Reson. Med. 58:519–526PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neuwelt, E.A., Weissleder, R., Nilaver, G., Kroll, R.A., Roman-Goldstein, S., Szumowski, J., Pagel, M.A., Jones, R. S., Remsen, L.G., McCormick, C.I., Shannon, E.M., and Muldoon, L.L. (1994) Delivery of virus-sized iron oxide particles to rodent CNS neurons. Neurosurgery 34:777–784PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neuwelt, E.A., Varallyay, C.G., Manninger, S., Solymosi, D., Haluska, M., Hunt, M.A., Nesbit, G., Stevens, A., Jerosch-Herold, M., Jacobs, P.M., and Hoffman, J.M. (2007) The potential of ferumoxytol nanoparticle magnetic resonance imaging, perfusion, and angiography in central nervous system malignancy: a pilot study. Neurosurgery 60:601–611; discussion 611–602PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Remsen, L.G., McCormick, C.I., Roman-Goldstein, S., Nilaver, G., Weissleder, R., Bogdanov, A., Hellstrom, I., Kroll, R.A., and Neuwelt, E.A. (1996) MR of carcinoma-specific monoclonal antibody conjugated to monocrystalline iron oxide nanoparticles: the potential for noninvasive diagnosis. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 17:411–418PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Varallyay, P., Nesbit, G., Muldoon, L.L., Nixon, R.R., Delashaw, J., Cohen, J.I., Petrillo, A., Rink, D., and Neuwelt, E.A. (2002) Comparison of two superparamagnetic viral-sized iron oxide particles ferumoxides and ferumoxtran-10 with a gadolinium chelate in imaging intracranial tumors. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 23:510–519PubMedGoogle Scholar