The Ethics of Taking Sides
NGOs’ political activities include their development work in aid recipient nations as well as advocacy in donor countries. Some criticisms of NGOs are given extra strength by the failure of NGOs to face up to this political nature. Government funding of NGOs particularly highlights these issues. NGOs should clarify the basis for their political actions, and in particular the independence or more complex relationship between funders (especially large funders like governments) and their policies. Possible precepts along these lines are considered for a Code of Conduct.
KeywordsPolitical Party Political Activity Government Funding Recipient Country Donor Country
- Ahmed, S. and D.M. Potter. 2006. NGOs in International Politics. Bloomfield: Kumarian Press.Google Scholar
- AusAID. 2007. AusAID-NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP) Guidelines. Canberra: Australian Agency for International Development.Google Scholar
- BBC World Tonight. 2004. ‘‘I’ve been talking to the Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer…’ BBC, London 19 May 2004,http://www.foreignminister.gov.au/transcripts/2004/040519_bbc_world_tonight.html.
- Bigg, C. 2005. Russia: NGOs Say New Bill Threatens Civil Freedom Radio Free Europe, 23 Nov 2005.http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/11/45a60888-5deb-4700-80cb-e4dc3f68f277.html.
- Boonstra, H. 2003. US Aids policy: Priority on treatment, conservatives’ approach to prevention. The Guttmacher Report on Public Policy 6(3): 1–3.Google Scholar
- Brown, I. 2004. This fatal compromise. The Guardian, Manchester, 19 Nov 2004.Google Scholar
- Burnell, P. and P. Calvert, eds. 2004. Civil Society in Democratization. London: Frank Cass.Google Scholar
- Cater, N. 2003. UK Offers Iraq Crisis Cash to NGOs Alertnet 12 Mar 2003, reproduced at: http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2003/0312uk.htm.
- Charnovitz, S. 2006. Accountability of non-governmental organizations in global governance. In NGO Accountability: Politics, Principles and Innovations, eds. L. Jordan and P. van Tuijl, 21–42. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- ChildFund Australia. 2007. Perceptions of Children’s Needs and Aid Effectiveness in Developing Countries 2007. Surry Hills: ChildFund Australia.Google Scholar
- Dalton, B. and M. Lyons. 2005. Representing the Disadvantaged in Australian Politics: The Role of Advocacy Organisations. Canberra: Australian National University.Google Scholar
- D’Cruz, D. 2005. Why it’s time to re-examine NGO funding. Crikey, 22 Nov 2005; also available at http://friendsofsame.org/pipermail/fos-announce/2005-November/000240.html.
- East Timor NGO Forum. 2004a. ET NGO Statement on ET-Australia Boundary Talks, media release, Dili 29 Sep 2004, http://www.etan.org/et2004/october/01-03/29etngo.htm.
- East Timor NGO Forum. 2004b. Timor-Leste Civil Society Demands a Fair Maritime Boundary’, media release, Dili 27 Oct 2004, http://members.pcug.org.au/~wildwood/04oct27etngo.html.
- Edwards, M. 2006. Foreword. In NGO Accountability: Politics, Principles and Innovations, eds. L. Jordan and P. van Tuijl. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Geray, I. 2006. Does foreign funding make NGOs into puppets? New Anatolian, 11 Oct, 2006 reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2006/1011puppets.htm.
- Haburas. 2005. ‘AusAID Blacklists’ East Timor NGOs over Timor Sea Comments, media release, 14 Nov 2005, http://www.etan.org/et2005/november/14/14ausaid.htm.
- Hamilton, C. and S. Maddison. 2007. Dissent in Australia. In Silencing Dissent, eds. C. Hamilton and S. Maddison. Sydney: Allen &Unwin.Google Scholar
- Jordan, L. and P. van Tuijl, eds. 2006. NGO Accountability: Politics, Principles & Innovations. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Kinzer, S. 2006. Overthrow: America’s Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq. New York: Times Books.Google Scholar
- Korten, D. 1992. Open letter to an NGO working with the World Bank, People-Centred development Forum, 7 Mar 1992 http://www.pcdf.org/1992/NGOSWB.htm.
- Lawday, A. 2006. Accountability: A report card. Humanitarian Exchange 36(39–41).Google Scholar
- La’o Hamutuk. 2005. Chronology of AusAID cancellation of grant to Forum Tau Matan with links to relevant documents, 6 Oct 2005 http://www.laohamutuk.org/reports/AusAID/FTMchronology.html.
- Maddison, S. 2007. Redefining democracy. In Silencing Dissent, eds. C. Hamilton and S. Maddison. Sydney: Allen &Unwin.Google Scholar
- Maddison, S., R. Dennis, and C. Hamilton. 2004. Silencing Dissent. Canberra: The Australia Institute.Google Scholar
- Maddison, S. and C. Hamilton. 2007. Non-government organisations. In Silencing Dissent, eds. C. Hamilton and S. Maddison. Sydney: Allen &Unwin.Google Scholar
- Maguire, K. 2003. How British charity was silenced on Iraq. The Guardian, Manchester, 28 Nov 2003, reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2003/1128silence.htm.
- Mudingu, J. 2007. How genuine are NGOs? New Times, 7 Aug 2006.Google Scholar
- NZAID and New Zealand NGOs. 2003. Strategic Policy Framework for Relations Between NZAID and New Zealand NGOs. Wellington: NZAID, http://www.nzaid.govt.nz/library/docs/nzaid-strategic-policy-framework.pdf.Google Scholar
- Peruzzotti, E. 2006. Civil society, representation and accountability: restating current debates on the representativeness and accountability of civic associations. In NGO Accountability: Politics, Principles and Innovations, eds. L. Jordan and P. van Tuijl, 21–42. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Read, R. 2003. Aid agencies reject money due to strings. Oregonian, 6 June 2003, reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2003/0610aid.htm.
- Roy, A. 2004. Help that hinders. Le Monde Diplomatique, Nov 2004 reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/credib/2004/1104hinders.htm.
- Save the Children UK. 2003. Save the Children UK not silenced on Iraq. 28 Nov 2003.Google Scholar
- Sealey, G. 2005. An epidemic failure. Rolling Stone, 2 June 2005, http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/7371950/an_epidemic_failure/.
- Senate. 2005. Supplementary budget estimates. In Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Legislation Committee. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia Senate, 3 Nov 2005.Google Scholar
- SIECUS. 2006. U.S. HIV/AIDS funding dependent on anti-prostitution pledge that jeopardizes HIV-prevention success. Making the Connection 4(2).Google Scholar
- Slim, H. 2002. By What Authority? The Legitimacy and Accountability of Non-governmental Organisations. The International Council on Human Rights Policy, International Meeting on Global Trends and Human Rights—Before and after Sep 11, http://www.jha.ac/articles/a082.htm.
- Slim, H. 2003. Belligerent Funding, BOND, Apr 2003, reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2003/0401bell.htm.
- Staples, J. 2006. NGOs Out In the Cold: The Howard Government Policy Towards NGOs. Australian National University, Canberra, June 2006.Google Scholar
- Stoddard, A. 2003. With Us or Against Us? NGO Neutrality on the Line. Humanitarian Practice Network, December 2003, reproduced at http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/fund/2003/1200against.htm.
- Wade, M. 2007. Canberra’s gagging us, say charities’. The Sydney Morning Herald, 30 May 2007, Sydney.Google Scholar