This introductory chapter presents several challenges that architectures are facing these days, such as the imminent end of the Moore’s law as it is known today; the usage of future technologies that will replace silicon; the stagnation of ILP increase in superscalar processors and their excessive power consumption and, most importantly, how the aforementioned aspects are impacting on the development of new architectural alternatives. All these aspects point to the fact that new architectural solutions are necessary. Then, the main reasons that motivated the writing of this book are shown. Several aspects are discussed, as the why ILP does not increase as before; the use of both combinational logic and reconfigurable fabric to speedup execution of data dependent instructions; the importance of maintaining binary compatibility, which is the possibility of reusing previously compiled code without any kind of modification; yield issues and the costs of fabrication. This chapter ends with a brief review of what will be seen in the rest of the book.
KeywordsPipeline Stage Combinational Logic Branch Prediction ASIC Design Branch Predictor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Conte, G., Tommesani, S., Zanichelli, F.: The long and winding road to high-performance image processing with mmx/sse. In: CAMP’00: Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE International Workshop on Computer Architectures for Machine Perception (CAMP’00), p. 302. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2000) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.McLellan, E.J., Webb, D.A.: The alpha 21264 microprocessor architecture. In: ICCD’98: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Design, p. 90. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1998) Google Scholar
- 10.Prakash, T.K., Peng, L.: Performance characterization of spec cpu2006 benchmarks on Intel core 2 duo processor. ISAST Trans. Comput. Softw. Eng. 2(1), 36–41 (2008) Google Scholar
- 12.Semiconductors, T.I.T.R.: Itrs 2008 edition. Tech. Rep., ITRS (2008). http://www.itrs.net
- 20.Wilcox, K., Manne, S.: Alpha processors: A history of power issues and a look to the future. In: Proceedings of the Cool-Chips Tutorial. Held in Conjunction with the International Symposium on Microarchitecture. ACM/IEEE, New York (1999) Google Scholar