Use of Indicators to Improve Communication on Energy Systems Vulnerability, Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Change
This paper outlines anticipated climate change impacts on energy systems. It presents a set of indicators to determine: the level of vulnerability of a particular energy system; the capacity to implement energy adaptation projects; and how successful proposed implementation measures will be in increasing energy system resilience. Wind, solar, hydro, biomass, nuclear and fossil fuel energy systems are addressed.
KeywordsClimate change energy systems vulnerability resilience adaptation wind solar fossil fuels biomass hydro nuclear transmission indicators assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- HELIO International, A Preliminary Assessment of Energy and Ecosystems Resilience in Ten African Countries, 2007, http://www.helio-international.org/energywatch/2007.cfm
- Stratus Consulting Inc. /- UNFCCC Secretariat, Compendium on Methods and Tools to Evaluate Impacts of, and Vulnerability and Adaptation to, Climate Change, 2005, http://unfccc.int/files/adaptation/methodologies_for/vulnerability_and_adaptation/applica tion/pdf/consolidated_version_updated_021204.pdf
- Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, New Indicators of Vulnerability and Adaptive Capacity, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research Technical Report 7, 2004, http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/theme3/final_reports/it1_11.pdf
- UKCIP, Climate Adaptation: Risk, Uncertainty and Decision-making - Technical Report, May 2003, http://www.ukcip.org.uk/resources/publications/pub_dets.asp?ID=4
- USAID, Adapting to Climate Variability and Change: A Guidance Manual for Development Planning, 2007, www.usaid.gov
- WADE: Security via Decentralised Energy, 2007, http://www.localpower.org/getreport. php?id=1020
- ActionAid USA, Compensating for Climate Change: Principles and Lessons for Equitable Adaptation Funding, 2007, www.actionaidusa.org
- IPCC, Summary for Policy Makers of the Synthesis Report of the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, November 2007, http://www.ipcc.ch/press/index.htm
- OECD, Stocktaking of Progress on Integrating Adaptation to Climate Change into Development Co-operation Activities, 2007, http://www.oecd.org/document/34/0,3343,en_2649_ 37425_39313186_1_1_1_37425,00.html
- SSN, SouthSouthNorth New Methodology for Community Based Adaptation (SSNAPP), 2005, http://www.southsouthnorth.org/library.asp
- Tearfund, Christain Aid, Practical Action, Oxfam, Two degrees, One Chance — The Urgent Need to Curb Global Warming, 2007, http://tilz.tearfund.org/Research/Climate+change+reports/ Two+degrees+One+chance.htm
- UNFCCC, National Adaptation Programmes of Action, http://unfccc.int/national_reports/ napa/items/2719.php
- UNFCCC, National Communications from Non-Annex 1 Countries, http://unfccc.int/ national_reports/non-annex_i_natcom/submitted_natcom/items/653.php
- UNFCCC, Impacts, Vulnerabilities and Adaptation in Developing Countries, 2007, http://unfccc.int/files/essential_background/background_publications_htmlpdf/application/ txt/pub_07_impacts.pdf
- UN Secretary General, Millennium Development Goals, 2000, http://www.un.org/ millenniumgoals/
- WRI, Growing in the Greenhouse: Protecting the Climate by Putting Development First, 2005, http://archive.wri.org/item_detail.cfm?id=3744§ion=climate&page=pubs_ content_text&z=?