A Software Solution for Mobile Context Handoff in WLANs *
This paper presents a software solution for mobile context handoff in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) for a context-aware system in the campus area at Fatih University. This project provides a seamless mobility infrastructure to mobile applications that were developed as a part of SOWCAS (Service-Oriented Wireless Context-Aware System) project. SOWCAS is a distributed pervasive system having a context-aware middleware server, proxy servers and mobile clients that support context-awareness and high adaptation to context changes for heterogeneous indoor and outdoor mobile applications. A handoff daemon named as Scriptex in Perl scripting language was developed. Scriptex provides a generic solution that is free from operating system and hardware implementations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Gümüşkaya, M. V. Nural, “Service-Oriented Context-Awareness and Context-Aware Services”, Advances in Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering, Springer, pp. 184 – 189, August 2008.Google Scholar
- H. Gümüşkaya, A. V. Gürel, M. V. Nural, “Architectures for Small Mobile Communication Devices and Performance Analyses”, First IEEE International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT 2008), pp. 342 – 347, Ostrava, Czech Republic, 4–6 August 2008.Google Scholar
- IEEE. Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications. IEEE Standard 802.11, 1999.Google Scholar
- IEEE. Recommended Practice for Multi-Vendor Access Point Interoperability via an Inter-Access Point Protocol Across Distribution Systems Supporting IEEE 802.11 Operation. IEEE Draft 802.1f/D3, January 2002.Google Scholar
- The Linux Wireless Extension and the Wireless Tools, http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html.
- WirelessMon, Wireless Monitoring Tool, PassMark Software Inc., http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm.
- CommView for Wifi, Wireless Monitoring Software, http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/.
- Syslog protocol, http://en.wikipedia.org/Syslog .
- Kiwi Syslog Daemon, Syslog Monitoring Software http://www.kiwisyslog.com .