A Software Solution for Mobile Context Handoff in WLANs *
- 1.1k Downloads
This paper presents a software solution for mobile context handoff in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) for a context-aware system in the campus area at Fatih University. This project provides a seamless mobility infrastructure to mobile applications that were developed as a part of SOWCAS (Service-Oriented Wireless Context-Aware System) project. SOWCAS is a distributed pervasive system having a context-aware middleware server, proxy servers and mobile clients that support context-awareness and high adaptation to context changes for heterogeneous indoor and outdoor mobile applications. A handoff daemon named as Scriptex in Perl scripting language was developed. Scriptex provides a generic solution that is free from operating system and hardware implementations.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Mobile Station Wireless Local Area Network Software Solution Mobile Client
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Gümüşkaya, M. V. Nural, “Service-Oriented Context-Awareness and Context-Aware Services”, Advances in Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering, Springer, pp. 184 – 189, August 2008.Google Scholar
- H. Gümüşkaya, A. V. Gürel, M. V. Nural, “Architectures for Small Mobile Communication Devices and Performance Analyses”, First IEEE International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT 2008), pp. 342 – 347, Ostrava, Czech Republic, 4–6 August 2008.Google Scholar
- IEEE. Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications. IEEE Standard 802.11, 1999.Google Scholar
- IEEE. Recommended Practice for Multi-Vendor Access Point Interoperability via an Inter-Access Point Protocol Across Distribution Systems Supporting IEEE 802.11 Operation. IEEE Draft 802.1f/D3, January 2002.Google Scholar
- The Linux Wireless Extension and the Wireless Tools, http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html.
- WirelessMon, Wireless Monitoring Tool, PassMark Software Inc., http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm.
- CommView for Wifi, Wireless Monitoring Software, http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/.
- Syslog protocol, http://en.wikipedia.org/Syslog .
- Kiwi Syslog Daemon, Syslog Monitoring Software http://www.kiwisyslog.com .