Integrated Reverse Engineering Process Model
The continual process of technology, new business requirements and stakeholder’s needs escort to frequent migration from legacy systems to more powerful, dedicated, secure and reliable computing systems. The reverse engineering techniques and tools are used to extract the structure of existing legacy systems starting form the implementations and going back to design, architecture and requirements. Software engineers are using different methodologies, recovery techniques and tools according to nature, complexity and size of software. The existing recovery techniques and tools are not integrated with each other. This paper introduces novel software reverse engineering process model integrated with different recovery approaches, tools and traceability links to extract different artifacts from legacy systems.
Keywords:Reverse engineering architecture recovery program understanding reverse engineering process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
I would like to thanks to Prof. Dr. Metthias Riebisch for his precious comments and suggestions for this research.
- Erlikh, L., “Leveraging legacy system dollars for E-business”. (IEEE) IT Pro, May/June 2000, pp.17–23.Google Scholar
- IBM Executive Brief, Legacy Transformation: Finding New Business Value in Older Applications, 2005. http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/features/bestofboth/.
- Pressman, Roger S., Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach, McGraw Hill, 1997.Google Scholar
- Nadim Asif, “Software Revere Engineering”, ISBN 969-9062-00-2 Pakistan, 2006.Google Scholar
- Fabio Abbattista, Gregorio M.G. Fatone, Filippo Lanubile, Giuseppe Visaggio, “Analyzing the Application of a Reverse Engineering Process to a Real Situation”, In Proc. Of Third Workshop Program Comprehension, Washington D.C., pp. 62–71, Nov. 1994.Google Scholar
- Murphy G, Notkin D, “ A Re-engineering with Reflection Model”, A Case Study”, Computer 30, 8, 1997, pp. 29–36.Google Scholar
- Patrick Mäder, Ilka Philippow, Matthias Riebisch, “A Traceability Link Model for the Unified Process” International Association for Computer & Information Science, 2007. IEEE Computer Society, 2007, pp. 700–705.Google Scholar
- J.M. DeBaud, B. Moopen, S. Rugaber, “Domain Analysis and Reverse Engineering,” http://www.cc.gatech.edu/reverse/papers.html [accessed on March, 2007.
- Hongji Yang, “Software evolution with UML and XML”, Idea Group Publishing, 2005, page 58, 2004.Google Scholar
- A.Von MayrHauser ,A.M. Vans, “Program Comprehension during Software Maintenance and Evolution”, IEEE Computer, vol. 28. pp 44–55, August 1999.Google Scholar
- Ilian Pashov, “Feature Based Methodology for supporting architecture refactoring and maintenance of long-life software systems”, PhD thesis , TU Ilmenau 2004.Google Scholar
- Murphy G, Notkin D “ Leightweight lexical Source Model Extraction” ACM transactions on Software Engineering and methodology Vol 5, 1996.Google Scholar
- R.Keller, R.Schauer, S.Robitaille, P.Page, “ Pattern Based Reverse-Engineering of Design Components”. In Proc. 21st International Conference on Software Engineering, 1999.Google Scholar
- Ghulam Rasool, Nadim Asif, “ Software Artifacts Recovery Using Abstract Regular Expressions”, In Proc of 11th IEEE Multitopic Conference , 28-30 December 2007 , Comsats Institute of IT Lahore Campus.Google Scholar
- Ilka Philippow, Detlef Streitferdt, Matthias Riebisch, Sebastian Naumann, “An approach for reverse engineering of design patterns”, Accepted: 29 January 2004/Published online: 29 April 2004 – Springer-Verlag 2004.Google Scholar
- .Martin Pinzger, Harald Gall, “Pattern-Supported Architecture Recovery”, In Proceedings of 10th International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC ‘02)”, 27-28 June,2002 Paris, pp. 53–61.Google Scholar
- Bansiya J (1998) Automatic Design-Pattern Identification.,Dr. Dobb’s Journal. Available online at: http://www.ddj.com
- Keller RK, Schauer R, Robitaille S, “Pattern based reverse engineering of design components”, In Proceeding of the 21st International Conference On Software Engineering. IEEE Computer Society Press, pp 226–235.Google Scholar
- Pashov, I., Riebisch, M.,” Using Feature Modeling for Program Comprehension and Software Architecture Recovery”. In Proc of 11th Annual IEEE International Conference and Workshop on the Engineering of Computer Based Systems (ECBS2004)”, May 24-27, 2004, Brno, Czech Republic, pp. 406–117Google Scholar