A New Improved Fuzzy Possibilistic C-Means Algorithm Based on Weight Degree
Clustering (or cluster analysis) has been used widely in pattern recognition, image processing, and data analysis. It aims to organize a collection of data items into clusters, such that items within a cluster are more similar to each other than they are items in the other clusters. An improved fuzzy possibilistic clustering algorithm was developed based on the conventional fuzzy possibilistic c-means (FPCM) to obtain better quality clustering results. Numerical simulations show that the clustering algorithm gives more accurate clustering results than the FCM and FPCM methods.
KeywordsFuzzy C-means Fuzzy possibilistic C-means Modified fuzzy possibilistic C-means Possibilistic C-means
- 2.Borgelt, C. (2005). Prototype-based classification and clustering. Habilitation thesis, University of Magdeburg, Germany.Google Scholar
- 3.Blake, C.L., & Merz, C.J. (1998). UCI Repository of machine learning databases. University of California, Irvine, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 7.Bezdek, J.C., Keller, J., Krishnapuram, R., & Pal, N.R. (1999). Fuzzy models and algorithms for pattern recognition and image processing. TA 1650.F89: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- 9.Lung, K. (2005). A cluster validity index for fuzzy clustering. Pattern Recognition Letters, 25, 1275–1291.Google Scholar
- 13.Fayyad, U.M., Piatetsky-Shapiro, G., Smyth, P., & Uthurusamy, R. (1996). Advances in knowledge discovery and data mining. Cambridge, MA: MIT.Google Scholar