Computational Homogenization of Polymeric Nanofiber Scaffolds and Biological Cells
An understanding of the structure–property relationship is essential for the estimation of mechanical properties of nano-materials like polymeric nanofibers and biological materials like cells and tissues. The properties of these structures are closely related to the internal molecular structure and therefore a multiscale based mathematical modeling is required for the determination of its macroscopic properties. In this investigation, we present multiscale mathematical models to estimate the mechanical properties of polymeric nanofibers from the basic building blocks to the macroscale nanofibrous structures and also study the homogenization of biological cells considering the microcellular constituents.Theoretical analysis of polymeric nanofibers based scaffolds are necessary towards designing novel bio-medical applications, while through homogenization of biological cells new diagnostic tools based on mechanical properties could be developed.
KeywordsActin Filament Representative Volume Element Stress Fiber Effective Modulus Nanofibrous Scaffold
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of this research through Oscar S. Wyatt Endowed Chair funds at the Texas A&M University.
- 1.Aboudi J (1991) Mechanics of composite materials – A unified micromechanical approach. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hibbitt K, and Sorensen Inc, HKS (2002) ABAQUS standard, Version 6.3-2. HKS, Providence, RIGoogle Scholar
- 19.Mura T (1997) Micromechanics of defects in solids. Martinus Nijhoff, Hague, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- 23.Pabst W, Gregorova E (2004) Effective elastic properties of alumina–zirconia composite ceramics – Part 2. Micromechanical modeling. Ceram Silik 48:14–23Google Scholar
- 25.Reddy JN (2006) An introduction to the finite element method, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 27.Reddy JN (2008) An introduction to continuum mechanics with applications. Cambridge University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 34.Unnikrishnan GU, Unnikrishnan VU, Reddy JN (2007) Constitutive material modeling of cell: A micromechanics approach. J Biomed Eng 129:315–323Google Scholar