A Hybrid Kirchhoff Migration Direction-of-Arrival Method for Underwater Imaging of Complex Objects Using Sparse Sensor Arrays
This paper considers the problem of imaging a complex object submerged in shallow waters using a sparse surface sensor array and a hybrid signal processing method. This method is constructed by refining the Kirchhoff migration technique to incorporate a zoning of the sensors and an analysis of multiple reflections, and combining it with the direction of arrival estimation method. Its performance is assessed and analyzed with the shape identification of a mockup submarine by numerical simulation. The obtained numerical results highlight the potential of this approach for detecting underwater intruders.
KeywordsComplex object Direction of arrival Gathers Kirchhoff migration MUSIC Underwater acoustics
The authors acknowledge partial support by the Office of Naval Research under Grant N00014-05-1-0204-1, and partial support by the National Science Foundation under Grant CNS-0540419.
- 3.Claerbout, J.: Imaging the earth’s interior, Report of the Stanford Exploration Project #40 (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Biondi, B.L.: 3D seismic imaging, Investigations in Geophysics #14 by Society of Exploration Geophysicists (2006), Chapter 2Google Scholar
- 5.Aastroem, T.: From fifteen to two hundred NDT methods in fifty years, Proceedings of the 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Shanghai (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Dougherty, R.P.: Advanced time-domain beamforming techniques, 10th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Bancroft, J.C., Geiger, H.D., Foltinek, D.S., Wang, S.: Prestack migration by equivalent offsets and CSP gathers, CREWES Research Report (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Borcea, L., Papanicolaou, G., Tsogka, C.: Coherent interferometric imaging in clutter. Geophysics 71–74, 165–175 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.National Academy of Sciences: Beyond discovery: Sounding out the ocean’s secrets (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Sternlicht, D., Pesaturo, J.F.: Synthetic aperture sonar: Frontiers in underwater imaging. Sea Tech. 45 (2004)Google Scholar