Stinging Real! Four Essays on the Transformative Power of Films and Storytelling in Planning Education
The plan is simple. Every Tuesday night we watch two films, every week you write a one-page essay, and Mondays and Wednesdays we meet in seminar. Through the films, essays, and discussions with your classmates, you learn about the United States, yourself, and your values. You become a more complete human being, better writer, and better planner (Course syllabus 2008)
KeywordsSexual Harassment Creative Writing Good Writer Honor Program National Public Radio
- Banks, R. (2001). A novelist’s vivid memory spins fiction of its own. In Writers on writing: Collected essays from the New York times. New York: Henry Holt and Company (first published New York Times. Available December 6, 1999, from http://www.nytimes.com).
- Ebert, R. (1992). Thunderheart. Chicago Sun-Times. Available April 3, from http://rogerebert.suntimes.com.
- Ebert, R. (2002). About Schmidt. Chicago Sun-Times. Available December 20, from http://rogerebert.suntimes.com.
- Frost, R. (1933). Letter to Hugh Saglio. In Your success is my success. Robert Frost to Hugh Saglio. Amherst, MA: The Friends of the Amherst College Library, 2004.Google Scholar
- Jamison, J. (2007). This I believe: To thine own self be true. Heard on National Public Radio’s All Things Considered. Available April 2, from, http://www.thisibelieve.com.
- Pritchard, W. H. (1995). English papers: A teaching life. St. Paul, MN: Graywolf Press.Google Scholar
- Tolstoi, L. N. (1899). What is art? (A. Maude, Trans. from the Russian Original). New York: Thomas Y. Crowell and Company.Google Scholar
- Vonnegut, K., Jr. (2001). Despite tough guys, life is not the only school for real novelists. In Writers on writing: Collected essays from the New York Times. New York: Henry Holt and Company (first published New York Times. Available May 24, 1999, from http://www.nytimes.com).
- Walker, J. (2007). Dragon slayers. In D. F. Wallace (Ed.), The Best American Essays 2007. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company (first published The Iowa Review, Fall, 2006).Google Scholar