Design Standards Comparison of Reinforced Concrete Strengthening Using FRP Composite in Chinese and ACI Codes
The application of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) in civil engineering is a growing field worldwide. Many countries have different ideas and opinions on the applications of FRP. It includes general researches, standards design and specifications. Based on these key parameters, an exhaustive comparison between design standards of FRP-Strengthened reinforced concrete in the Chinese code and that of American Concrete Institute (ACI) is carried out in this paper. From a general viewpoint, the strategies of both codes for strengthening reinforced concrete structures are uniform. Nevertheless, the calculation methods of the bonded length, flexural capacity, and shear capacity are different from one another. The differences and sameness would deepen designers' understanding of FRP and illuminate them to pay more attention on these issues during calculation. This will contribute in making FRP an important material that could be effectively used and widely applied in the civil structures throughout the world.
KeywordsFRP-strengthening reinforced concrete Chinese ACI codes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 318 (1999). Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI 318-99/R-99, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.Google Scholar
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 318 (2002). Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI 318-02/R-02, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.Google Scholar
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 440 (2002). Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures, ACI 440.2R-02, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.Google Scholar
- Code for design of concrete structures. (2002). China building industry press.Google Scholar
- Ng. C.K., Private communication, University Sarawak Malaysia, East Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Quek M.L., Private communication, Fyfe Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.Google Scholar
- Technical specification for strengthening concrete structures with carbon fiber reinforces polymer laminate (2002).Google Scholar
- Ye L.P., Private communication, Tsinghua University, China.Google Scholar