Financial and demographic risks impact on a pay-as-you-go pension fund
This paper studies the financial sustainability of a pay-as-you-go pension fund within a stochastic framework. To this aim, a set of risk indicators of the solvency of the fund are also constructed. Financial and demographic risks are analyzed by investigating and comparing their impact on the evolution of the fund. Numerical results are approached by means of a simulation methodology, on the Italian pension funds.
Key wordsPension funds demographic risk pay-as-you-go new entrants
The authors acknowledge the financial support provided by the Banco di Sardegna Foundation (prot. 1637/2009.0377). Roberta Melis acknowledges the financial support provided by the Regione Autonoma della Sardegna (L.R. 7/2007).
- 3.Davis, E.: Pension Funds, Oxford University Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Janssen, J., Manca, R.: Notional Defined Contribution Pension Method and the Construction of Annuitization Coefficients. Proc. ICA 2006, Paris (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Melis, R., Trudda, A.: Demographic risk indicators in pay-as-you-go pension funds, Probl. and Perspectives in Manag. 8(4), 117–126 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Orlando, A., Trudda, A.: Some remarks on First and second order stochastic processes choice, Invest. Manag. and Finan. Innov. 2004/3, 118–131 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Settergren, O.: The Automatic Balance Mechanism of the Swedish Pension System — A Non-technical Introduction. Wirtschaftspolitishe Blätter 4/2001, 339–349 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Trudda, A.: Casse di previdenza: analisi delle dinamiche attuariali, 2nd ed., Giappichelli, Torino (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Van Gaalen, R.: Pension Funds, funding index, mismatch risk premium and volatility. 14th Afir Coll. (2004)Google Scholar