From Theoretical Model to Experimental Data: A Structured Approach to Design Experiments to Seed a Model of Vehicle Operation with New Systems
In this paper we will discuss a methodology developed and applied in the European ITERATE project with the objective of designing experiments that will provide data to seed the ITERATE theoretical model of operator behaviour in different surface transport modes: road vehicles, rail transport and ships. A structured approach was taken involving seven steps: (1) Selection of operator support systems to be studied; (2) formulation of hypotheses on the effects of the operator parameters from the model on the interaction with the systems; (3) final system selection; (4) operationalisation of operator parameters and identification of ways to measure them; (5) development of scenarios; (6) development of experimental set-ups; and (7) specification of simulators and experiments.
KeywordsAutomotive environment Driver modelling Field studies Experiemtal design
The ITERATE project has received funding from the European Commission Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement no. 218496. The ITERATE consortium consists of seven partners: Statens väg och Transportforskningsinstitut (VTI) Sweden; University of Leeds, UK; University of Valenciennes, France; Kite Solutions s.n.c., Italy; Ben Gurion University, Israel; Chalmers University, Sweden; MTO Psykologi, Sweden.
- 3.Carsten O, Barnard Y (2010). Preparing field operational tests for driver support systems: a research oriented approach. In de Waard D, Axelsson A, Berglund M, Peters B, Weikert C (eds) Human factors: a system view of human, technology and organisation, 243–248. Shaker Publishing, MaastrichtGoogle Scholar
- 4.FESTA Handbook Version 2 (2008) Deliverable D6.4 of field operational teSt supporT action. The FESTA consortium. Available at http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/festa/
- 5.ITERATE (2009a) Deliverable 1.2: description of Universal Model of Driver behaviour (UMD) and definition of key parameters for specific application to different surface transport domains of application. The ITERATE consortiumGoogle Scholar
- 6.ITERATE (2009b) Deliverable 2.1: review of existing technologies and systems supporting the operator. The ITERATE consortiumGoogle Scholar
- 7.ITERATE (2009c) Deliverable 2.2: selection of systems. The ITERATE consortiumGoogle Scholar
- 8.ITERATE (2009d) Deliverable 3.1: specification of test procedures for the simulator experiments. The ITERATE consortiumGoogle Scholar