Total Elbow Replacement for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Management of patients with rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow has changed significantly over the last several years. The reliability of both coupled and uncoupled elbow joint replacements have emerged as reliable interventions for this diagnosis. Mayo’s experience with 78 procedures with rheumatoid arthritis undergoing total elbow arthroplasty has revealed a satisfactory outcome of approximately 92% at 12 years. The complication rate is approximately 15%, consisting primarily of delayed avulsions or deficiency of the triceps tendon (2%), deep infection (2%), and ulnar nerve irritation (3%).
KeywordsRheumatoid Arthritis Radial Head Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis Rheumatoid Arthri Total Elbow Arthroplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chiu KY, Luk KDK, Pun WK (1996) Souter-Strathclyde elbow replacement for severe rheumatoid arthritis. J Orthop Rheum 9:194–199Google Scholar
- 3.Lyall HA, Cohen B, Clatworthy M, Constant CR (1994) Results of the Souter-Strathclyde total elbow arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. A preliminary report. J Arthroplasty 9:279–284Google Scholar
- 17.Lee BP, Adams RA, Morrey BF (2004) Polyethylene wear in total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am (in press)Google Scholar
- 18.Whaley A, Morrey BF, Adams RA (2004) Total elbow arthroplasty following previous synovectomy and radial head resection of the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Br (in press)Google Scholar
- 21.Figgie MP, Inglis AE, Mow CS, Figgie HE III (1988) Salvage of nonunion of supracondylar fracture of the humerus by total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 3:235Google Scholar
- 22.Pritchard RW (1981) Long-term follow-up study: semiconstrained elbow prosthesis. Orthpaedics 4:151Google Scholar
- 23.Bayley JIL (1981) Elbow replacement in rheumatoid arthritis. Recon Surg Traumat 18:70Google Scholar
- 24.Rosenfeld SR, Ansel SH (1982) Evaluation of the Pritchard total elbow arthroplasty. Orthopedics 5:713Google Scholar
- 26.Leber C, Melone CP Jr (1988) Total elbow replacement. Orthop Rev 17:85Google Scholar
- 27.Morrey BF (1991) The Elbow: Semiconstrained Devices. In: Morrey BF (ed) Joint Replacement Arthroplasty. Churchill Livingstone, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar