Firefly Algorithm Approach for Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks
Development of sensor technology has led to low power, low cost and small sized distributed wireless sensor networks (WSN). The self organizable and distributed characteristics of wireless sensor networks had made it for monitoring and control applications at home and other environment. In most of these applications location information plays a crucial role in increasing the performance and reliability of the network. This paper makes an attempt in analyzing and implementation of a novel nature based algorithm known as firefly localization algorithm. This is a distributed algorithm which uses range based trilateration method for distance measurement required for estimating the location of the sensor node. The algorithm is simple to implement and has better convergence and accuracy.
KeywordsFirefly localization algorithm WSN Biological inspired algorithm Landmark node Sensor node Firefly Attractiveness Brightness
- 1.Kulkarni, R.V., Venayagamoorthy, G.K.: Bio-inspired algorithms for autonomous deployment and localization of sensor nodes. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. Part C: Appl. Rev. 40(6), (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Binitha, S, Sathya, S.S.: A survey of bio inspired optimization algorithms. Int. J. Soft Comput. Eng. (IJSCE) 2(2), (2012). ISSN:2231-2307Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, X.S.: Firefly algorithm, levy flights and global optimization. In: Research and Development in Intelligent Systems, vol. XXVI, pp. 209–218. Springer, London (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Apostolopoulos, T., Vlachos, A.: Application of the firefly algorithm for solving the economic emissions load dispatch problem. Int. J. Comb. 2011, (2011). Hindawi Publishing CorporationGoogle Scholar
- 6.Yang, X.S.: Nature-Inspired Meta-Heuristic Algorithms. Luniver Press, Beckington (2008)Google Scholar