Multi-level Thresholding Segmentation Approach Based on Spider Monkey Optimization Algorithm
Image Segmentation is an open research area in which Multi-level thresholding is a topic of current research. To automatically detect the threshold, histogram-based methods are commonly used. In this paper, histogram-based bi-level and multi-level segmentation are proposed for gray scale image using spider monkey optimization (SMO). In order to maximize Kapur’s and Otus’s objective functions, SMO algorithm is used. To test the results of SMO algorithm, we use standard test images. The standard images are pre-tested and Benchmarked with Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) Algorithm. Results confirm that new segmentation method is able to improve upon result obtained by PSO in terms of optimum threshold values and CPU time.
KeywordsImage segmentation Thresholding Spider monkey optimization algorithm
- 5.Sankur, B., Sezgin, M.: Image thresholding techniques: a survey over categories. Pattern Recogn. 34(2), 1573–1607 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Otsu, N.: A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. Automatica 11(285-296), 23–27 (1975)Google Scholar
- 9.Kapur, J.N., Sahoo, P.K., Wong, A.K.C.: A new method for gray-level picture thresholding using the entropy of the histogram. Comput. Vision, Graphics, Image Process. 29(3), 273–285 (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.Bansal, J.C., et al.: Spider monkey optimization algorithm for numerical optimization. Memetic Comput. 6(1), 31–47 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Kennedy, J.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Encyclopedia of Machine Learning, pp. 760–766. Springer, New York (2010) Google Scholar