FPGA Implementation of Various Image Processing Algorithms Using Xilinx System Generator
This paper makes an comparison between two architectures existing and modified for various image processing algorithms like image negative, image enhancement, contrast stretching, image thresholding, parabola transformation, boundary extraction for both grayscale and color images. The synthesis tool used is Xilinx ISE 14.7 and designed in simulink (MATLAB 2012a) workspace. The existing and modified architectures is implemented using Xilinx System Generator (XSG) and hardware software co-simulation is done using Spartan 3E FPGA board. The results and resource utilization for both the architectures is obtained the results shows that the modified architectures shows an average 39 % less resource utilization than that of the existing architecture also for boundary extraction the modified architectures produced refined results while comparing visually with the existing architecture results.
KeywordsCo-simulation Image processing MATLAB Simulink Xilinx system generator
- 1.Christe, S.A., Vignesh, M., Kandaswamy, A.: An efficient FPGA implementation of MRI image filtering and tumor characterization using Xilinx system generator. Int. J. VLSI Des. Commun. Syst. 2(4) (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Xilinx System Generator User’s Guide. http://www.Xilinx.com
- 3.MATLAB. http://www.mathworks.com
- 4.Neha, P.R., Gokhale, A.V.: FPGA implementation for image processing algorithms using xilinx system generator. IOSR J. VLSI Signal Process. 2(4), 26–36 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Elamaran, V., Rajkumar, G.: FPGA implementation of point processes using xilinx system generator. J. Theoret. Appl. Inf. Technol. 41(2) (2012)Google Scholar