Hybrid Synchronous Discrete Distance Time Model for Traffic Signal Optimization
This paper proposes a novel solution to the traffic signal optimization problem by reducing the wait time of individual vehicle users at intersections within the urban transportation system. Optimized signal timings, not only reduce the wait time of vehicle users but also improve the mobility within the system. In effect, it also reduces the ever increasing emissions and fuel consumption. A novel synchronous discrete distance-time model is proposed to frame the problem on the basis of 2-layer Stackelberg game. Thereafter, the upper layer optimization is solved using evolutionary computation techniques (ACO, GA and a Hybrid of ACO and GA). A comparative analysis done over the aforementioned techniques indicates that the hybrid algorithm exhibits better performance for the proposed model.
KeywordsACO GA Ant colony Genetic algorithm Soft computing Traffic signal Optimization techniques
- 2.Allsop, R.E., Charlesworth, J.A.: Traffic in a signal-controlled road network: an example of different signal timings including different routings. Traffic Eng. Control 18(5), 262–264 (1977)Google Scholar
- 8.Heydecker, B.G., Khoo, T.K.: The equilibrium network design problem. In: Proceedings of AIRO’90 Conference on Models and Methods for Decision Support, pp 587–602, Sorrento (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, C., Machemehl, R.B.: Genetic algorithm, local and iterative searches for combining traffic assignment and signal control, traffic and transportation studies: In: Proceedings of ICTTS 98, pp 489–497 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Sahana, S.K., Jain, A.: An improved modular hybrid ant colony approach for solving traveling salesman problem. Int. J. Comput. (JoC) 1(2), 123–127. doi:10.5176_2010-2283_1.2.49, ISSN: 2010-2283 (2011) Google Scholar
- 12.Sahana, S.K., Jain, A, Mahanti, P.K.: Ant colony optimization for train scheduling: an analysis. Int. J. Intell. Syst. Appl. 6(2), 29–36. doi: 10.5815/ijisa.2014.02.04, ISSN-2074-904X (print), 2074-9058 (online) (2014)