Numerical Modeling of Cyclone-Generated Wave Around Offshore Objects
Tropical cyclones propagating in the sea hit offshore objects to get diffracted around it. The highly valuable structures such as oil drilling and storage facilities, harbours islands, breakwaters, etc are planned and constructed without resorting to detailed design involving wave diffraction which contributes to 60−70 percent of loading. This paper presents a hybrid numerical method to solve the mathematical wave diffraction problem around offshore objects, large or small. A very large planned island has been investigated by a developed model, SUBRATA/ISLAND HARBOUR. The results have been validated.
KeywordsWave diffraction Structures Numerical model Impedance Radiation
Acknowledgement is due to Prof. R.L. Wiegel, University of California at Berkley, USA for his comments and discussion with the author at IIT Bombay.
- 1.Wehausen, J.V., Laitone, E.V.: Surface waves. In: Encyclopedia of Physics, vol. IC. pp. 446−778. Springer, Berlin (1960)Google Scholar
- 2.Bose, S.: Mathematical modelling of cyclone-wave diffraction by offshore structures. In: Hydrosoft’84, pp. 2/66−2/77. Elsevier Science Publishers, B.V. Amsterdam (1984)Google Scholar
- 3.Fund, K.Y. : New perspectives on the acoustic impedance. In: CFEMATCON—06. Andhra University, pp. 1−7, (July 24−25, 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bose, S.: Some aspects of cyclone-generated wave and its diffraction around offshore islands in the Bay of Bengal. Ph.D (Engg) Thesis, Jadavpur University (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.Chatham, C.E.: Lose angles harbor and long beach harbor: design of the hydraulic model. In: Ports’77, Am. Soc. Civ. Eng. pp. 47−64, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 6.U.S. Army, Coastal Engg. Research Center: Shore Protection Manual, vol. 1(2), pp. 79−110 (1977) Google Scholar
- 7.Banaugh, R.P.: The scattering of acoustic and elastic waves by surfaces of arbitrary shape. Ph.D Thesis in Engg. University of California, Berkeley (1962)Google Scholar