eKMP: A Proposed Enhancement of KMP Algorithm
Exact sequence matching is a vital component of many problems, including text editing, information retrieval, signal processing and recently in bioinformatics applications. Various sequence matching or string matching algorithms are found in literature. The reliability of these algorithms constantly depends on the ability to detect the presence of match characters and the ability to discard any mismatch characters. These algorithms are widely used for searching of an unusual sequence in a given DNA sequence. In this paper, a proposed enhancement over KMP algorithm is presented. It is carried out to bring completeness to the parent algorithm.
KeywordsAlgorithm Boyer-Moore DNA sequencing eKMP KMP LCS
- 2.Johnstone, J.: A survey of sequence matching and alignment algorithms. url:https://people.ok.ubc.ca/rlawrenc/teaching/404/Project/Samples/Report/SequenceMatching_Report.pdf
- 3.Das, M.K., Dai, H.K.: A survey of DNA motif finding algorithms. Proceedings of the fourth annual MCBIOS conference. Computational frontiers in biomedicine. BMC Bioinform. 8(Suppl 7), S21 (2007). doi: 10.1186/1471-2105-8-S7-S21
- 5.Boyer, R.S., Smoore, J.: A fast string-searching algorithm. Commun. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 20, 762–772 (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.Knuth–Morris–Pratt Algorithm. url:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth–Morris-Pratt_algorithm. Accessed 12 Sept 2014
- 8.Cao, M.: Time complexity of Knuth-Morris-Pratt string matching algorithm. Course Project Report for COMP-160. Tufts University, Medford, USA. url:http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~mcao01/2010f/COMP-160.pdf (2010)