Selection of Control Parameters of Differential Evolution Algorithm for Economic Load Dispatch Problem
Differential evolution (DE) is a population based heuristic search algorithm for global optimization capable of handling non differentiable, nonlinear and multi-modal objective functions. The performance of this type of heuristic algorithms is heavily dependent on the setting of control parameters as proper selection of the control parameters is very important for the success of the algorithm. In this paper, a study of control parameters on the performance of DE algorithm for economic load dispatch problem has been addressed. The effectiveness of the proposed method is illustrated on a standard IEEE 30 bus test system. The results of the effect of the variation of different strategy, control parameters are presented. It is observed that the DE algorithm may fail in finding the optimal value if the strategy and control parameters are not chosen carefully.
KeywordsDifferential evolution Optimal power flow Control parameters Economic dispatch IEEE 30 bus test system
- 1.Wood, J., Wollenberg, B.F.: Power Generation, Operation and Control, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Padhy, N.P.: Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Panda, S.: Robust coordinated design of multiple and multi-type damping controller using differential evolution algorithm. Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst. 33(4), 1018–1030 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Panda, S.: Differential evolution algorithm for SSSC-based damping controller design considering time delay. (Article in press). J. Franklin Inst. doi: 10.1016/j.jfranklin.2011.05.011
- 8.Das, S., Abraham, A., Konar, A.: Particle swarm optimization and differential evolution algorithms: technical analysis. Applications and hybridization perspectives. Stud. Comput. Intell. 116, 1–38 (2008) Google Scholar