Stochastic Buckling and First Ply Failure Analysis of Laminated Composite Plate
The present work deals with second order statistics of buckling strength and first-ply failure by load of laminated composite plate subjected to compressive loading with random system properties and strength parameters. The mathematical formulation is based on higher order shear deformation theory (HSDT). An efficient C 0 linear finite element method procedure in conjunction with a second order perturbation approach (SOPT) is developed and applied for failure problem in random environment using Tsai-Wu failure criterion. It is observed that the random system properties and strength parameters have a significant influence on the linear first-ply failure load and buckling response of composite plate. The results obtained using present solution approach is validated with the results available in the literatures.
KeywordsLaminated composite plate First-ply failure loads Random system properties Mechanical buckling loading Finite element method
- 7.Reddy JN (2004) Mechanics of laminated composite plates and shells, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ochoa OO, John J (1986) Analysis of progressive failure in composites. Compos Sci Technol, 28:87–102Google Scholar
- 12.Reddy JN (1980) A penalty plate bending element for the analysis of laminated anisotropic composite plates. Int J Numer Merh Engng 15(8):1187–1206Google Scholar
- 13.Reddy JN (1984) A simple higher order theory for laminated composite plates. ASME J Appl Mech, 51:745–152Google Scholar
- 14.Pagano NJ (1970) Exact solutions for rectangular bidirectional composites and sandwich plates. J Camp Mater 4:20–34Google Scholar