A Convivial Energy Based Clustering (CEBC) Solution for Lifetime Enhancement of Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless sensor network requires robust and energy efficient communication protocols to minimize the energy consumption as much as possible. Numerous energy-based cluster head election algorithms have been proposed and implemented. However, the capacities and workloads of the neighbors of cluster heads have not been considered in large wireless sensor networks. A convivial energy-based cluster (CEBC) head selection scheme where cluster heads are elected based on the energy value of a node and the energy values of its neighbors is proposed in this paper. This is to ensure that the neighbor nodes within the one hop range of a cluster head do not drain off their energy while forwarding the data to the other member nodes, especially in large networks. Simulations in network simulator have proved that CEBC cluster head selection scheme has improved the lifetime of the network compared to the LEACH protocol.
KeywordsCEBC LEACH protocol Wireless sensor network Multi-hop communication HEED
I express my gratitude to my lecturers Mr. James Malcolm, Ms. Hannan Xiau, and Dr. Najah Khadim, University of Hertfordshire, UK, for teaching me the wireless networking concepts and simulation methods using network simulator.
- 1.A.K. Thomas, R. Devanathan, Variable duty-cycle based efficient network discovery in WSN. Eur. J. Sci. Res. 93(2), 266–278 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.F. Xiangning, S. Yulin, Improvement on LEACH protocol of wireless sensor network, in International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SensorComm '07), (IEEE, October 2007), pp. 260–264Google Scholar
- 4.A. Abbasi, M. Younis, A survey on clustering algorithms for wireless sensor networks. Comput. Commun. 2826–2841 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.R. Tandon, B. Dey, S. Nandi, Weight based clustering in wireless sensor networks, in Proceedings of the IEEE National Conference on Communications (NCC) (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.S.H.N. Choi, K.O. Lee, K.W. Rim, A weight-based unequal clustering routing protocol in wireless sensor network, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICT4M) (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.L.H.M. Mercy, K. Balamurugan, M. Vijayaraj, Maximization of lifetime and reducing power consumption in wireless sensor network using protocol. Int. J. Soft Comput. Eng. (IJSCE) 29(6) (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.D.G. Reina, S.L. Toral, P. Jonhson, F. Barrero, Hybrid flooding scheme for mobile ad hoc networks. IEEE Commun. Lett. 17(3) (2013)Google Scholar