Development of Home Automation System by Using ZigbeX and Atmega128 for Wireless Sensor Networks
- 1.1k Downloads
Home automation systems have become one of the interested areas among the researchers for many years due to various advantages it offers to human as well as to the environment. Despite this fact, only relatively small number of the system implementation is available as a tutorial for undergraduate study. This paper presents a framework and a test bed of home automation systems by implementing the cost effective ZigbeX and Atmega128 with TinyOS. Through a house model, the proposed systems are able to control the lights and curtain depends on the light intensity measured by the photodiode on the ZigbeX. The design offers a user-friendly control of the system, and the system is flexible and expandable in terms of adding more sensors for future work.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks (WSNs) Personal area networks (PANs) TinyOS IEEE 802.14.4 TOSSIM Packet analyzer Mica-Z Home automation
This paper was supported by Research Fund, Kumoh National Institute of Technology (www.kumoh.ac.kr).
- 1.Lin, C.H., Bai, Y.W., Liu, M.F., Lin, M.B.: Remotely controllable outlet system for home power management.In: IEEE 10th International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, ISCE ‘06, pp. 1–6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Kasim, M., Isa, N.M.I., Daud, J.R.: Home electrical appliance control application using Zigbex Ubiquitous Sensor Network. In: IEEE International Conference on System Engineering and Technology (ICSET), pp. 143–147 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.AlShu’eili, H., Gupta, G.S., Mukhopadhyay, S.: Voice recognition based wireless home automation system. In: 4th International Conference on Mechatronics (ICOM), pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, Y.-M., Jeon, I.: An efficient self routing scheme by using parent-child association for WSNs, LNCS 5370, pp. 785–794. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Naruephiphat, W., Charnsripinyo, C., Satienpaisarn, S., PromYa, R.: Applying wireless sensor network for power consumption monitoring. In: 9th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), pp. 1–4 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Felix, C., Raglend, I.J.: Home automation using GSM. In: International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication, Computing and Networking Technologies (ICSCCN), pp. 15–19 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Zigbee Alliance.: Zigbee. http://www.zigbee.org/. Retrieved 3 Jan 2013
- 10.Wireless embedded system.: TinyO. http://webs.cs.berkeley.edu/tos/download.html, University of California, Berkeley (2005). Retrieved 17 Dec 2012
- 11.Texas Instruments.: SmartRF Protocol Packet Sniffer. http://www.ti.com/tool/packet-sniffer. Retrieved 7 Jan 2013
- 12.Hanback Electronis Co., LTD.: HBE- Zigbex. http://www.hanback.cn/en/index.asp. Retrieved 3 Jan 2013
- 13.IEEE 802, May 10, 2013, IEEE 802.15 WPAN Task Group 4. http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG4.html. Retrieved 31 Jan 2013