An Efficient Invasive Weed Optimization Algorithm for Distribution Feeder Reconfiguration and Loss Minimization
The distribution network carries electricity from the transmission system and delivers it to consumers. Distribution losses account for major part of power system losses. The low-voltage operation in the distribution system is a major reason for higher technical losses due to inherent properties of the network. In this paper, a method based on invasive weed optimization algorithm (IWOA) is proposed for distribution network reconfiguration with the objective of real power loss minimization. The feeder reconfiguration problem is formulated as a nonlinear optimization problem, and IWOA is used to find the optimal solution. The proposed method is implemented on standard 16-bus test system . Test results show that the proposed feeder reconfiguration method can effectively ensure the loss minimization .
KeywordsInvasive weed optimization algorithm (IWOA) Feeder reconfiguration
The authors would like to thank the management of VIT University for their encouragement and the support given during this work.
- 1.C. Lakshminarayana, M.R. Mohan, An improved technique for service restoration in distribution systems using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm. Int. J. Electr. Power Energy. Syst 31(3), 162–170 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Y.K. Wu, C.Y. Lee, L.C. Liu, S.H. Tsai, Study of reconfiguration for the distribution system with distributed generators. IEEE. Trans. Power Deliv. 25(3) (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.A. Swarnkar, N. Gupta, K.R. Niazi, Minimal loss configuration for large scale radial distribution systems using adaptive genetic algorithms, in 16th National Power Systems Conference. (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.K. Sathish Kumar, T. Jayabarathi, Power system reconfiguration and loss minimization for an distribution systems using bacterial foraging optimization algorithm. Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst. (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.T. Thakur, J. Dhiman, A new approach to load flow solutions for radial distribution system. IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition Latin America (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.FV. Gomes, S. Carneiro Jr., JLR. Pereira, MP. Vinagre, PAN. Garcia, LR. De Araujo. A new distribution system reconfiguration approach using optimum power flow and sensitivity analysis for loss reduction. IEEE Trans. Power Syst 21(4) (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.DP. Kothari, R. Ranjan, KC. Singal, Renewable energy sources and technology (Prentice Hall India 2011)Google Scholar