Service-Adaptive Fuzzy Multi Criteria Based Intelligent Vertical Handover Decision Algorithm for Heterogeneous Wireless Networks
The next-generation wireless networks should be interoperable with other communication technologies to offer the best connectivity to the users.
But providing such interworking is a key challenge. Currently, existing decision engines are simple, proprietary, and have no support for profile-based service, and handover is only based on the received signal strength which is not intelligible enough to make handoff decision. The proposed decision algorithm gains intelligence by combining fuzzy logic system, multiple attribute decision making, and context-aware strategies. It synchronizes the user schedule and usage pattern through software agent for making handover at appropriate time. The performance analysis shows that the proposed algorithm efficiently uses the network resources by switching between 3G and Wi-Fi based on the user schedule. It is observed that average handover delay for the experiment is 25–35 ms under good RF conditions, running time of algorithm is around 1 ms, and it reduces the call dropping rate (<0.006), blocking probability (<0.00607), as well as unnecessary handover in heterogeneous networks.
KeywordsVertical handover Fuzzy logic Multiple attribute decision making Context awareness Software agent User schedule
We are highly indebted to the authorities of Mobile and Wireless Networks Research Laboratory of CSE department of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham for providing necessary hardware resources and test bed for carrying out this research work.
- 1.Qualcomm Technology, 3G/LTE Wi-Fi Offload Framework: Connectivity Engine (CnE) to Manage Inter-System Radio Connections and Applications (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.I.F. Akyildiz, J. Xie, S. Mohanty, A survey of mobility management in next-generation all-IP-based wireless systems. Wirel. Commun. 11(4), 16–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.L. Ning, Z. Wang, Q. Guo, K. Jiang, Fuzzy clustering based group vertical handover decision for heterogeneous wireless networks, in Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2013 IEEE, vol. 7(10) (IEEE, 2013), pp. 1231–1236Google Scholar
- 4.A.D. Grishaeva, V.Y. Voropayeva, Development of the vertical handover algorithm for heterogeneous wireless networks, in 23rd International Crimean Conference on Microwave and Telecommunication Technology, vol. 8(14) (2013), pp. 480–481Google Scholar
- 5.T. Buburuzan, Performance evaluation of a handover model for integrating mobile broadcast technologies within heterogeneous networks, in IEEE 13th International Symposium (2009), pp. 603–607Google Scholar
- 6.J. Chen, Z. Wei, Y. Wang, L. Sang, D. Yang, A service-adaptive multi-criteria vertical handover algorithm in heterogeneous wireless networks, in Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (2012), pp. 899–904Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Kirsal, E. Ever, G. Mapp, O. Gemikonakli, Enhancing the modeling of vertical handover in integrated cellular/WLAN environments, in Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA) (2013), pp. 924–930Google Scholar
- 8.M. Kassar, B. Kervella, G. Pujolle, An overview of vertical handover decision strategies in heterogeneous wireless networks. Comput. Commun. 31(10), 2607–2620 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.A. Mehbodniya, F. Kaleem, K.K Yen, F. Adachi, A fuzzy MADM ranking approach for vertical mobility in next generation hybrid networks, in Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (2012), pp. 262–267Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Ling, B. Yi, Q. Zhu, An improved vertical handover decision algorithm for heterogeneous wireless networks. Wirel. Commun. Netw. Mob. Comput. 1(3), 12–14 Oct 2008Google Scholar
- 11.L. Ekiz, C. Lottermann, D. Ohmannm, T. Tran, O. Klemp, C. Wietfeld, C.F. Mecklenbrauker, Potential of cooperative information for vertical handover decision algorithms, in Intelligent Transportation Systems. 16th International IEEE Conference, vol. 6(9) (2013), pp. 455–460Google Scholar
- 12.M.T. Ekiz, M.L. Hossain, M.A. Kabir, M.T. Rahman, S. Salekin, S.S. Alam, A.F. Mitul, Vertical handover decision using fuzzy logic in a heterogeneous environment, in 2013 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), vol. 17(18) (2013), pp. 1–3Google Scholar