Elimination of Harmonics in Seven-Level Cascaded Multilevel Inverter Using Particle Swarm Optimization Technique
This paper presents a robust stochastic search algorithm called particle swarm optimization (PSO) to resolve the optimum switching angles for 7-level cascaded multilevel inverter (MLI) to eliminate selected harmonics in order to get low total harmonic distortion (THD) by taking the resultant equations of the output voltage THD of an inverter as an objective function. The simulation is carried out on a 7-level cascaded inverter to ensure the accuracy of the projected technique. Results show that 5th and 7th harmonics are effectively suppressed at faster converging rate and show how the THD varies with modulation index.
KeywordsMultilevel inverter THD PSO Selective harmonic elimination
- 2.L.M. Tolbert, J.N. Chiasson, K. McKenzie, Z. Du, Elimination of harmonics in a multilevel converter with non-equal DC sources, in Proceedings of IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference (2003), pp. 589–595Google Scholar
- 8.J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, in International Conference of Neural Networks (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Kennedy, R.C. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, in Proceedings of IEEE International of Neural Networks (1995), pp. 1942–1948Google Scholar
- 10.B. Khokhar, K.P.S. Parmar, A novel weight-improved particle swarm optimization for combined economic and emission dispatch problems. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Tech (IJEST) 4, 2015–2021 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.R. Eberhart, Y. Shi, Comparison between genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimization, in Proceedings of International Conference on Evolutionary Computation (1998), pp. 611–616Google Scholar