Vertex Cover Problem—Revised Approximation Algorithm
This paper is aimed to present the solution to vertex cover problem by means of an approximation solution. As it is NP complete problem, we can have an approximate time algorithm to solve the vertex cover problem. We will modify the algorithm to have an algorithm which can be solved in polynomial time and which will give near to optimum solution. It is a simple algorithm which will be based on articulation point. Articulation point can be found using the Depth First Search algorithm.
KeywordsArticulation point Vertex covering problem Optimization Approximation algorithm
We would like to thank the School of Computer Science and Engineering, VIT University, for giving us such an opportunity to carry out this research work and also for providing us the requisite resources and infrastructure for carrying out the research.
- 1.M. Garry, D. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A User Guide to the Theory of NP Completeness (San Francisco, 1979)Google Scholar
- 2.P.S. Oliveto, X. Yao, J. He, Analysis of Population-based Evolutionary Algorithms for the Vertex Cover Problem (IEEE, 2008), pp. 1563–1570Google Scholar
- 3.L. Ding, B. Gu, X. Hong, B. Dixon, Articulation node based routing in delay tolerant networks, in IEEE International Conference (2009), pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Zeng, D. Wang, W. Liu, A. Xiong, An approximation algorithm for weak vertex cover problem in IP network traffic measurement, IEEE International Conference (2009), pp. 182–186Google Scholar
- 5.J. Chen, I.A. Kanj, G. Xia, Improved parameterized upper bounds for vertex cover. 31st International Conference on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.E. Angel, R. Campigotto, C. Laforest, Algorithm for the vertex cover problem on large graphs. IBISC Research report (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.E. Asgeirsson, C. Stein, Vertex Cover Approximations on Random Graphs (Springer, Berlin, 2007), pp. 285–296Google Scholar
- 12.F. Kuhn, M. Mastrolilli, Vertex cover in graphs with locally few colors (2011), pp 498–509 Google Scholar