Location-Based Coordinated Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks
Wireless sensor and actor networks (WSAN) are composed of low-powered, low-resourced, densely deployed sensor nodes and high-powered, resource-rich, sparsely deployed actor nodes to perform distributed sensing and acting tasks, respectively. Sensor nodes sense the physical phenomenon and report to actor nodes at earliest possible time for appropriate action by the actor nodes. The major objective of WSAN is to have the desired action correspondent to the reported event with higher precession. Due to the coexistence of sensor and actor nodes, one of the major challenges in such networks is communication and coordination mechanisms among the sensor and actor nodes. We have considered the problem of communication and coordination and proposed an efficient model based on geometric structure called Voronoi diagram. Our protocol is based on clustering (virtual grid) and Voronoi region concept. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed protocol outperforms in terms of throughput, packet delivery ratio, average delay, and normalized routing overhead.
KeywordsWireless sensor and actor networks Voronoi region Coordination protocol
- 2.Melodia, T., Pompili, D., Gungor, V.C., Akyildiz, I.F.: A distributed coordination framework for wireless sensor and actor networks. In: Proceedings of 6th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, May 2005Google Scholar
- 3.Melodia, T., Pompili, D., Akyildiz, I.F.: A communication architecture for mobile wireless sensor and actor networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE SECON, 2006Google Scholar
- 4.Yuan, H., Ma, H., Liao, H.: Coordination mechanism in wireless sensor and actor networks. In: Proceedings of the First International Multi-Symposiums on Computational Sciences (IMSCCS’06), 2006Google Scholar
- 5.Peng, H., Huafeng, W., Dilin, M., Chuanshan, G.: Elrs: an energy efficient layered routing scheme for wireless sensor and actor networks. In: Proceedings of the 20th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA’06), 2006Google Scholar
- 6.Bouhafs, F., Merabti, M., Mokhtar, H.: A coordination protocol for wireless sensor and actor networks. PGP Net (2006)Google Scholar