Modeling and Analysis of Cross-Layer Uplink Scheduler in IEEE 802.16e Standard
Wireless interoperable microwave access, abbreviated as WiMAX is a standard of IEEE 802.16, a wireless communication technology that has a main goal to achieve the quality of service (QoS) in a secured environment. The WiMAX MAC layer is designed to support different types of applications and services having different QoS requirements. Apart from providing high throughput and less delay, a scheduling algorithm at MAC Layer should also take into account the QoS classes and service requirements. We propose an uplink scheduling algorithm for IEEE 802.16e, WiMAX multimedia standard at MAC Layer of the base station, which supports four types of QoS traffic classes (UGS, rtPS, nrtPS, and BE) and focuses mainly developing a mathematical model based on theoretical concepts of statistics. We use NS3 for simulation of the algorithm. Proposed algorithm provides interesting results and thus enhances throughput and minimizes delay and jitter.
KeywordsIEEE 802.16e MAC layer QoS Service time Arrival time
- 1.Pujolle, S.K.G., Achir, K.B.N.: A cross-layer radio resource management in WiMAX systems. In: Hincapie, R. (ed.) ISBN 978-953-307-956-1. InTech Publisher, Published online 03, Feb 2012, Published in print edition February, 2012Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE 802.16e-2005.: IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks: part 16—air interface for fixed and mobile broadband wireless access systems amendment 2: physical and medium access control layers for combined fixed and mobile operation in licensed bands, Feb 2006Google Scholar
- 4.Puranik, S., Vijayalakshmi, M., Kulkarni, L.: A survey and analysis on scheduling algorithms in IEEE 802.16e (WiMAX) standard. 79(12), ISBN: 973-93-80878-12-4, Publisher IJCA, Oct 2013Google Scholar
- 5.Ali, D.M., Noordin, K.A., Dimyati, K., Idris, A.: Modeling and performance analysis of uplink scheduling algorithm in mobile WiMAX systems. Int. J. Phys. Sci. 6(14), 3487–3501 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Trivedi, K.: Probability and statistics with reliability, queuing, and computer science applications. ISBN-81-203-0508-6, Aug 1999Google Scholar