The Structural Studies of Luminescent Vapour Phase Etched Porous Silicon
Porous Silicon (PS) layers have been fabricated on p-type crystalline silicon (c-Si) using Reaction Induced Vapour Phase Stain Etching (RIVPSE) for different growth condition. The morphological properties of the porous Silicon samples have been investigated by using Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). The Scanning electron micrographs indicate that these samples have structures of predominantly small size clusters having dual nature of pores instead of the postulated columns. Bonding structures for the samples have been investigated by using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) and compared for different metal induced (Zn, Al + Si, Si) vapour phase stain etching. The study reveals that Zn induced vapour phase stain etched porous silicon is most reactive surface and may be of greater life.
KeywordsPorous silicon Vapour phase stain etching Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy Scanning electron microscope
We thankfully acknowledge Dr. Rupak Bhadra, IICB Kolkata for Scanning Electron microscope images. We also heartily acknowledge Mr. Kuntal Ghosh, IIT Bombay for FTIR data.
- 2.Palsule LC, Liu S, Gangopadhyay S, Holtz M, Lamp D, Kristiansen M (1997) Electrical and optical characterisation or crystalline silicon/porous silicon heterojunctions. Solar Energ Mater. Solar Cells 46:261–269Google Scholar
- 3.Pickering C, Beale MJJ, Robbins DJ, Pearson PJ, Greef R (1984) Optical studies of the structure of porous silicon films formed in p-type degenerate and non-degenerate silicon. J Phys CI7(35):6535–6552Google Scholar
- 4.Deal BE, Grove AS (1965) General relationship for the thermal oxidation of silicon. J Appl Phy 36(12):3770–3778Google Scholar
- 7.Pickering C, Beale MJJ, Robbins DJ, Pearson PJ, Gree R (1984) Optical studies of the structure of porous silicon films formed in p-type degenerate and non-degenerate silicon. J Phys CI7:6535–6552Google Scholar
- 9.Schirone L, Sotgiu G, Parisini A, Montecchi M (1997) Optical and morphological properties of stain-etched porous silicon films for anti-reflection coatings of photovoltaic devices. Solid State Phenom 54:59–64Google Scholar