A Novel Lossless ECG Compression Technique for Transmission in GSM Networks
This paper presents a novel Lossless ECG Compression using Symbol substitution (LECS) deployable on low computational devices (LCD) like mobile phones for effective use in telecardiology. Of the few LCD deployable compression algorithms, even losslessly compressed ECG suffers transmission loss in Global System for Mobile (GSM) networks due to the reduced character set supported by the SMS protocols. The LECS encodes using the Standard GSM Character ETSI GSM 03.38 set for un-trimmed ECG transmission. The evaluation using MIT-BIH Arrhythmia database showed an average compression-ratio (CR) of 7.03, Percentage-Root-mean-square-Distortion (PRD) as low as 0.0211 proving superior performance in both compression and quality for real-time mobile based telecardiology applications.
KeywordsLossless ECG compression ECG in SMS ECG transmission Telecardiology ECG transmission in GSM network Symbol substitution based compression
The authors acknowledge their cordial gratitude to Dr. Moses. K. Daniel, Professor and head of Medicine Department, Government Rajaji Hospital, Madurai, India for the valuable clinical advice and the effort and time spent in evaluating the quality of numerous reconstructed ECG samples.
- 1.World Health Organization Information.: http://www.who.int/gho/publications/world_health_statistics/2012/en/index.html
- 5.Jalaleddine, S.M., Hutchens, C.G., Strattan, R.D., Coberly, W.A.: ECG data compression techniques-A unified approach. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 37(4), 329–343 (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Reddy, B.R.S., Murthy, I.S.N.: ECG data compression using Fourier descriptors, IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. BME-33(4), 428–434 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Batista, L.V., Kurt Melcher, E.U., Carvalho, L.C.: Compression of ECG signals by optimized quantization of discrete cosine transform coefficients. Med. Eng. Phys. 23, 127–134 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Chua, E., Fang, WC.: Mixed bio-signal lossless data compressor for portable brain-heart monitoring systems. IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron. 57(1), 267–273 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Srinivasan, K., Dauwels, J., Reddy, M.R.: A two-dimensional approach for lossless EEG compression. Biomed. Signal Process. Control. 6(4), 387–394 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Takahiro, O.T.A, Morita, H.: On-line electrocardiogram lossless compression using antidictionary codes for a finite alphabet. IEICE Trans. 93-D(12), 3384–3391 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Sufi, F., Fang, Q., Khalil, I., Mahmoud, S.S.: Novel methods of faster cardiovascular diagnosis in wireless telecardiology. IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 27(4), 537–552 (2009)Google Scholar