Bi-Objective Scheduling on Parallel Machines in Fuzzy Environment
The present chapter pertains to a bi-objective scheduling on parallel machines involving total tardiness and number of tardy jobs (NT). The processing time of jobs are uncertain in nature and are represented by triangular fuzzy membership function. The objective of the chapter is to find the optimal sequence of jobs processing on parallel identical machines so as to minimize the secondary criteria of NT with the condition that the primary criteria of total tardiness remains optimized. The bi-objective problem with total tardiness and NT as primary and secondary criteria, respectively, for any number of parallel machines is NP-hard. Following the theoretical treatment, a numerical illustration has also been given to demonstrate the potential efficiency of the proposed algorithm as a valuable analytical tool for the researchers.
KeywordsFuzzy processing time Average high ranking Total tardiness Due date Tardy job.
- 3.Akker Vanden, J.M., Hoogeveen, J.A.: Minimizing the number of tardy jobs. Hand Book of Scheduling. Chap-man and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, Florida (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta, D., Sharma, S., Aggarwal, S.: Bi-objective parallel machine scheduling with uncertain processing time. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 3, 1020–1226 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G.: Minimizing maximum lateness in a two machine open shop. Math. Oper. Res. 6, 153–158 (1981)Google Scholar
- 8.Moore, J.M.: Sequencing n jobs one machine to minimize the number of tardy jobs. Manage. Sci. 77, 102–109 (1968)Google Scholar
- 9.Parkash, D.: Bicriteria scheduling problems on parallel machine. Ph.D. thesis. University of Birekshurg. Virginia (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Shin, S.O., Kim, Y.D.: Scheduling on parallel machines to minimize total tardiness. J. Oper. Res. 177, 629–634 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Singh, T.P.: Bi-objective in fuzzy scheduling on parallel machines. Arya Bhatta J. Math. Inf. 2, 149–152 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Yager, R.R.: A procedure for ordering fuzzy subsets of unit interval. Inf. Sci. 24, 143–161 (1981)Google Scholar
- 13.Zadeh, L.A.: Fuzzy sets. Inf. Control 8, 78–98 (1965)Google Scholar