Detections of Intima-Media Thickness in B-Mode Carotid Artery Images Using Segmentation Methods
This study presents the investigations carried out on carotid artery to identify the intima-media thickness of carotid artery that affected with plaques. B-mode ultrasound image video of the artery has been used as the data for processing. The frames of the video are processed to know the plaque properties of the artery. In order to achieve this, two segmentation processing techniques have been used on each frame. The features extracted from the frames are consolidated to know the conditions of the artery. Information of a frame are converted into features. The values of the features are estimated by artificial neural network (ANN) algorithm. ANN has not been used extensively by the past. ANN is used in estimating the plaque thickness in the carotid artery.
KeywordsB-mode Back propagation network Pattern recognition Artificial neural network Clustering
- 1.Santhiyakumari, N., Madheswaran, M.: Intelligent medical decision system for identifying ultrasound carotid artery images with vascular disease. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 1(13), 32–39 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Lei, W.K., Li, B.N., Dong, M.C., Vai, M.I.: AFC-ECG: an adaptive fuzzy ECG classifier. In: Proceedings of the 11th World Congress on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications (WSC11). Advances in Soft Computing,Springer Berlin,Heidelberg vol. 39, pp. 189–199 (2007) Google Scholar
- 4.Markos, G., Tsipouras, Themis, P., Exarchos, Dimitrios, I., Fotiadis, Anna, P., Kotsia, Konstantinos, V., Vakalis, Naka, K.K., Michalis, L.K.: Automated diagnosis of coronary artery disease based on data mining and fuzzy modeling. IEEE Trans. Inform. Technol. Biomed. 12(4), 447–456 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, B.N., Chui, C.K., Ong, S.H., Chang, S.: Integrating FCM and level sets for liver tumor segmentation. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, (ICBME 2008) Singapore, 3–6, December 2008 Google Scholar
- 11.Ozbay, Y., Ceylan, M.: Effects of window types on classification of carotid artery Doppler signals in the early phase of atherosclerosis using complex-valued artificial neural network. Ultrasound Med. Biol. 37(3), 287–295 (2006)Google Scholar