Modified Foraging Process of Onlooker Bees in Artificial Bee Colony
Artificial Bee colony (ABC), a recently developed optimization algorithm has gained the attraction of many researchers. The foraging behavior of bees is used to search the optimum solution to the problem. In this study the foraging process for food sources by onlooker bees is being modified, which combines the information of the best food sources (based on fitness/nectar value) and also the information of the location of current food source to find new search directions. The proposed variant is named as MF-ABC and is tested in a set of 5 well known benchmark functions. The simulated results demonstrate the performance and efficiency of the proposal over basic ABC.
KeywordsArtificial bee colony ABC Optimization Metaheuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Karaboga, An Idea based on Bee Swarm for Numerical Optimization, Technical Report, TR-06, Erciyes University Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department (2005).Google Scholar
- D. Karaboga and B. Basturk, A Powerful and Efficient Algorithm for Numerical Function Optimization: Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm, Journal of Global Optimization, Springer Netherlands (2007), Vol. 39, pp. 459–471.Google Scholar
- D. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Massachutes (1986).Google Scholar
- J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, Particle Swarm Optimization, Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Perth, Australia, IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ (1995), pp. 1942–1948.Google Scholar
- K. Price and R. Storn, Differential Evolution – a Simple and Efficient Adaptive Scheme for Global Optimization Over Continuous Spaces, Technical Report, International Computer Science Institute, Berkley (1995).Google Scholar
- M. Dorigo, V. Maniezzo, A. Colorni, Positive feedback as a search strategy, Technical Report 91-016, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1991.Google Scholar
- Karaboga, D., Basturk B.: On the performance of artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 8, pp. 687-697, (2008).Google Scholar
- D. Karaboga and B. Basturk, Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) Optimization Algorithm for Solving Constrained Optimization Problems, LNCS: Advances in Soft Computing: Foundations of Fuzzy Logic and Soft Computing, Springer-Verlag, IFSA (2007), pp. 789–798.Google Scholar
- Karaboga D et al., Artificial bee colony programming for symbolic regression, Information Sciences (2012), http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ins.2012.05.002.
- Kashan MH, Nahavandi N, Kashan AH (2012) DisABC: A new artificial bee colony algorithm for binary optimization, Applied Soft Computing 12:342–352.Google Scholar
- Ma M, Liang J, Guo M, Fan Y, Yin Y (In Press) SAR image segmentation based on Artificial Bee Colony algorithm, Applied Soft Computing, doi: 10.1016/j.asoc.2011.05.039, in press.
- Yeh WC, Hsieh TJ (2012) Artificial bee colony algorithm-neural networks for s-system models of biochemical networks approximation. Neural Comput Appl. doi: 10.1007/s00521-010-0435-z.
- Li G, Niu P and Xiao X (2012) Development and investigation of efficient artificial bee colony algorithm for numerical function optimization. Applied Soft Computing 12:320– 332.Google Scholar
- Bahriye A and Karaboga D (2012). A modified Artificial Bee Colony algorithm for real-parameter optimization. Information Sciences 192: 120-142.Google Scholar
- Gao WF, Liu S, Huang L (2012) A global best artificial bee colony algorithm for global optimization. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 236:2741-2753.Google Scholar
- F. Gao, Feng-xia Fei, Qian Xu, Yan-fang Deng, Yi-bo Qi, Ilangko Balasingham. A novel artificial bee colony algorithm with space contraction for unknown parameters identification and time-delays of chaotic systems, Appl. Math. Comput. (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.06.040.
- T.K. Sharma, M. Pant, Enhancing scout bee movements in artificial bee colony algorithm, in: International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving, SocProS 2011, AISC of Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, Vol. 130, Springer Verlag, 2011, pp. 601–610. December 20, 2011 – December 22, 2011.Google Scholar
- T.K. Sharma, M. Pant, Enhancing different phases of artificial bee colony for continuous global optimization problems, in: International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving, SocProS 2011, AISC of Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, Vol. 130, 2011, pp. 715–724. December 20, 2011 – December 22, 2011.Google Scholar
- Dervis Karaboga, Beyza Gorkemli, Celal Ozturk, Nurhan Karaboga: A comprehensive survey: artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm and applications, Artif Intell Rev 2011, DOI 10.1007/s10462-012-9328-0.
- Bharti (1994), Controlled random search technique and their applications. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mathematics, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, India, 1994.Google Scholar
- Zhu GP, Kwong S. Gbest-guided artificial bee colony algorithm for numerical function optimization. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2010.08.049.