Boundary Handling Approaches in Particle Swarm Optimization
In recent years, Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) methods have gained popularity in solving single objective and other optimization tasks. In particular, solving constrained optimization problems using swarm methods has been attempted in past but arguably stays as one of the challenging issues. A commonly encountered situation is one in which constraints manifest themselves in form of variable bounds. In such scenarios the issue of constraint-handling is somewhat simplified.This paper attempts to review popular bound handling methods, in context to PSO, and proposes new methods which are found to be robust and consistent in terms of performance over several simulation scenarios. The effectiveness of bound handling methods is shown PSO; however, the methods are general and can be combined with any other optimization procedure.
KeywordsConstrained optimization Evolutionary algorithms Particle swarm optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alvarez-Benitez, J.E., Everson, R.M., Fieldsend, J.E.: A MOPSO algorithm based exclusively on pareto dominance concepts. In: EMO. vol. 3410, pp. 459–473 (2005).Google Scholar
- Deb, K.: Optimization for Engineering Design: Algorithms and Examples. Prentice-Hall, New Delhi (1995).Google Scholar
- Deb, K.: An efficient constraint handling method for genetic algorithms. In. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. pp. 311–338 (1998).Google Scholar
- Deb, K., Annand, A., Jhoshi, D.: A computationally efficient evolutionary algorithm for real-parameter optimization. Evol. Comput. 10(4), 371–395 (2002).Google Scholar
- Deb, K., Padhye, N.: Development of efficient particle swarm optimizers by using concepts from evolutionary algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 12th annual conference on Genetic and, evolutionary computation. pp. 55–62 (2010).Google Scholar
- Helwig, S., Wanka, R.: Particle swarm optimizatio in high-dimensional bounded search spaces. In: Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Swarm Intelligence, Symposium. pp. 198–205.Google Scholar
- Helwig, S., Branke, J., Member, S.M.: Experimental analysis of bound handling techniques in particle swarm optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (99) (2012).Google Scholar
- Padhye, N., Branke, J., Mostaghim, S.: Empirical comparison of mopso methods - guide selection and diversity preservation -. In: Proceedings of CEC. pp. 2516–2523. IEEE (2009).Google Scholar
- Padhye, N.: Development of Efficient Particle Swarm Optimizers and Bound Handling Methods. Master’s thesis, IIT Kanpur, India (2010).Google Scholar
- Reklaitis, G.V., Ravindran, A., Ragsdell, K.M.: Engineering Optimization Methods and Applications. Willey, New York (1983).Google Scholar
- Zhang, W.J., Xie, X.F., Bi, D.C.: Handling boundary constraints for numericaloptimization by particle swarm flying in periodic search space. In: Proceedings of Congress on, Evolutionary Computation. pp. 2307–2311 (2004).Google Scholar