Programmable Gaussian Noise Generator to test and Characterize Onboard Subcarrier Systems in Satellite Communication
The paper presents design, simulation and implementation of programmable Gaussian noise generator in hardware. The communication system performance is evaluated for additive Gaussian noise, this necessitates the design of highly accurate, programmable noise generator which is dealt in this paper. The Box-Muller method is used for Gaussian noise generator and the programmable variance is implemented in hardware through multiplying DAC. The Box-Muller method requires two uniform random generators inputs and mathematical operations for these inputs which are implemented in hardware using CORDIC algorithms. The Uniform noise generators and Gaussian noise generator are simulated in MATLAB Simulink®, finite word length effect is analyzed with bit true simulation and the same were implemented in hardware. The whole design is accommodated in a Xilinx xc4vsx35-10ff668 FPGA, the multiplying DAC circuit is realized as a separate circuit, with control inputs for noise variance control. The design is tested in real time for different subcarrier frequency and data modulation and receiver performance is evaluated in terms of BER characterized by Eb/N0.
KeywordsGaussian Noise CORDIC Box-muller DAC Variance
Authors would like to thank and acknowledge the support and encouragement received from E. Vasantha Deputy Director-DCA, Dr. Shivakumar S. K, Director, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore.
- 1.Volder JE (1959) The CORDIC trigonometric computing technique. IRE Trans Electron Comput 8(3):330:334Google Scholar
- 2.Rorabaugh CB (1997) Digital filter designers handbook. MacGraw Hill, INCGoogle Scholar
- 3.L’Ecuyer P (1998) Uniform random number generators. In: Proceedings of the 1998 winter simulation conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 4.Matsumoto M, T Nishimura (1998) Meresenne twister: a 623-dimensionally equidistributed uniform pseudo-random number generator. ACM Trans Model Comput Simul 8(1):3–30Google Scholar
- 5.L’Ecuyer P (1996) Maximally equidistributed combined tausworthe generators. Math Comput 65:213, 203–213Google Scholar
- 6.Lee D-U, Luk W, Villasenor JD, Cheung PYK (2004) A gaussian noise generator for hardware-based simulations. IEEE Trans Comput 53(12)Google Scholar
- 7.Andraka R (1998) A survey of CORDIC algorithms for FPGA based computers. In: Proceedings of ACM/SIGDA Sixth International Symposium on FPGAs, Feb 1998. Monterrey, CA, pp 191–200Google Scholar