A Parallel Fuzzy C Means Algorithm for Brain Tumor Segmentation on Multiple MRI Images
The Fuzzy C Means (FCM) algorithm has been extensively used in medical image segmentation. But for large data sets the convergence of the FCM algorithm is time consuming and also requires considerable amount of memory. In some real time applications, like Content Based Medical Image Retrieval (CBIR) systems, there is a need to segment a large volume of brain MRI images offline. In this paper, we present an efficient method to cluster data points of all the images at once. The gray level histogram is used in the FCM algorithm to minimize the time for segmentation and the space required. A parallel approach is then applied to further reduce the computation time. The proposed method is found to be almost twice as fast as conventional FCM.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zulaika Beevi, S., Mohamed Sathik, M.: An Effective Approach for Segmentation of MRI images: Combining Spatial Information with Fuzzy C Means Clustering. Eur. J. on Scientific Res. 41(3), 437–451 (2010) ISSN 1450-216XGoogle Scholar
- 2.Moh’d Belal, A.-Z., Hudaib, A., Shiboul, B.A.: A Fast Fuzzy Clustering Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 6th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, Knowl. Engineering (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Hung, M.-C., Yang, D.-L.: An Efficient Fuzzy C-Means Clustering Algorithm (2001); 0-7695-1 119-8/01 IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kannan, S.R., Ramathilagam, S., Pandiarajan, R., Sathya, A.: Fuzzy Clustering Approach in Segmentation of T1-T2 brain MRI. International J. of Recent Trends in Engineering 2(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Qing, Y.X., Hua, H.Z., Qiang, X.: Histogram Based Fuzzy C-Means Algorithm For Image Segmentation (1992), 0-8186-2920-7/92 IEEE; Cai, W., Chen, S., Zhang, D.-Q.: Fast and robust Fuzzy c-means clustering algorithms incorporating local information for Image segmentation. Pattern Recognition 40, 825–838 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Rahimi, S., Zargham, M., Thakre, A., Chhillar, D.: A Parallel Fuzzy C-Means Algorithm for Image Segmentation. IEEE Annual Meeting of the Fuzzy Information 1, 234–237 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Murugavalli, S., Rajamani, V.: A High Speed Parallel Fuzzy C-Mean Algorithm For Brain Tumor Segmentation. BIME Journal Volume 06(1) (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.He, Y., Dai, S.: Application of Improved Fuzzy C- Means Clustering in Detecting Human Head. In: Sixth International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Srivastava, A., Asati, A., Bhattacharya, M.: A Fast and Noise-Adaptive Rough-Fuzzy Hybrid Algorithm for Medical Image Segmentation. In: IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and BioMedicine (2010)Google Scholar